Add Bourbon and Vanilla to Keg vs secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worthog82

Reaction score
I've got a porter that I'm going to keep in primary for 3 weeks. Once that's done is it ok to rack to keg and add bourbon/vanilla. Then put 12 psi on it while its in the fridge at 40 degrees for 3 weeks? Or should I secondary with the bourbon/vanilla before kegging it?

I don't see why you couldn't dump it in there when you put it on the gas. That saves you time, and is essentially treating the keg as a secondary.

Are you soaking the vanilla beans in the bourbon first, or is it vanilla extract, and bourbon you're using. You usually add the beans to the secondary. Taste test as it secondaries, then rack it off the beans when the right flavor profile is achieved. You then add bourbon to your keg or bottling bucket to taste.

Pure Vanilla extract you could probably just put it right into the keg/bucket to taste

I would secondary it. I've found that it takes months for the bourbon flavor to meld with the beer. Any time I mix whiskey and beer I give it at least 6 months.

Careful with the bourbon. I recently made an IPA with bourbon and oak chips. It is very easy to go overboard with the bourbon. My last experience was that a little goes a long ways. I added waaaaay too much.

How much did you add? I'm not wanting a strong bourbon taste. Just a hint. I was thinking of starting with 8 oz.

If you're doing the recipe I think you are (Denny Conn's), then you want about 8oz of bourbon. I threw the bourbon, two vanilla beans, and oak chips in a carboy, and racked on top of them for two weeks. Turned out great!

Thanks. The recipe is similar to the Denny Conn porter. It doesn't have quite as big of a SG then the Denny Conn. It starts at 1.067

How much did you add? I'm not wanting a strong bourbon taste. Just a hint. I was thinking of starting with 8 oz.

I added about 12 oz. It was an IPA though, so the bourbon may have gotten a little extra attention than it might in your Porter. In that beer though. the 12 oz was way overboard.

oak chips and vanilla beans need time to release their flavors. Alcohol helps the beans in extractng their flavors, which your beer already has in the secondary. Bourbon doesn't need any time to flavor your beer. I think pure extract vanilla will give you instant flavor also.

When in doubt ask the brewer. "Denny" is a member and reads this board. Shoot him an email. He'd be happy to give you some input

Back