Hail and 9000 plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfarmer

Reaction score
Well we had a pea size hail storm this morning , I took it pretty bad when I saw the plants and all the broken tips . Talked with a grower friends in Idaho and Oregon and both said just wrap the new shoot that comes out below the broken tip and all will be fine .
The Storm

The results

A new prespective

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, tough hit. we haven't had one of those storms for a few years. the local apple growers cringe when that type of weather comes up. one bright spot is that it happened early. hoping that's the last you'll see this year. my thoughts are with you.

I have to say, The first vid in the hop field was hard to watch. I'm sure that they will come back. They're hearty buggers.

I meant about the images not the language, I don;t think language is an issue in a beer forum. Good luck Farmer!

I meant about the images not the language, I don;t think language is an issue in a beer forum. Good luck Farmer!

I know what you meant. All that destruction of a young and tender hop field. Might not be for all viewers.

Happened in Germany a couple years ago, but later in the season. Lots of extra work for you, but they should be fine.

They (Cascades)have all developed laterals (from 3'up) we are retraining the closest laterals to the broken tips.They are once again climbing the ropes.Leaf growth is again taking off. Color is great and they appear very healthy.Did not count on this extra work in the budget but I have never been able to follow one anyway.I will get a new video up shortly.I am still worried about the Chinooks as they seemed behind anyway.This happened one year in Oregon and it actually increased production. Cheers Glen

Back