Gunk ring in fermenter mixing back into beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I opened my primary fermenter on day 8 to take a gravity reading and noticed that some of the gunk ring that sticks to the plastic above the beer level during early fermentation, had disolved or just slid back down the side and into the beer. I can see a disolved ring of the stuff floating on the surface near the edge. I don't think I disturbed the Ale Pail either. I have never noticed this before and wondered if other people have had this happen. I will assume it is somewhat normal, but am concerned it will make my beer more bitter than expected. I would also assume racking to a secondary ASAP might keep this to a minimun in the future?

Yeah, some of it slides back in or falls back in, particularly if you move the bucket. It's no big deal. I've had it happen to some degree with most of my batches and never had it turn out bitter.

Back