Straining?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giant016

Reaction score
My first batch of beer is fermenting right now, in the primary fermenter. When I move it to the secondary fermenter should I strain it to get the junk out...or will that junk help the beer? Same goes for when it goes from secondary fermenter to bottles. Just trying to figure out what I should be trying to do when transferring the brew. Thanks.

Absolutely not. You want to avoid aerating your beer like the plague once fermentation has commenced or risk oxidized off-flavors. Rack it carefully to avoid the sediment at the bottom. Also make sure your racking hose goes to the bottom of the target vessel to avoid splashing the wort (and avoid said aeration).

I strain when I move it from boil pot to primary and have had no ill effects. You can also just use a grain bag and not worry about all the "crap" or numerous other methods that I am too lazy to use. BUT DO NOT STRAIN ANYTHING WHEN MOVING TO SECONDARY OR BOTTLES. :)

loop

I use an auto siphon and it is easy to keep it above the level of most of the trub. On occasion I have tied a hop bag on the end of the tube in the secondary and it will capture some of the larger bits of trub that may get into the siphon.

Blender said:
I use an auto siphon and it is easy to keep it above the level of most of the trub. On occasion I have tied a hop bag on the end of the tube in the secondary and it will capture some of the larger bits of trub that may get into the siphon.

I use the autosiphon method too. I do full boils and can't transfer to the primary without spilling wort all over the kitchen floor. Keeping the boil residue out of the primary is just an added bonus.

Thanks guys. I transferred from the primary to the secondary today, and looking at the siphon I didn't see any chunks going through anyways. It also smells good!

Back