AHS Golden Celeia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBrew

Reaction score
Homies,
I am in a bit of a conundrum regarding this mini-mash kit I just got from AHS. the hop schedule calls for 1oz (styrian golding) at 60 min, .5 Celeia at 20, 1oz Celeia at 0, and .5 oz Celeia dry hop. the problem is that I have 2 1 oz packages of Celeia and I don't have a great way of storing an opened .5oz for the two weeks btw time 0 and dry hop.

What is the best way through this? I was thinking to do .5 oz at 20 and 0 and a whole ounce at dry hop. Alternatively, would a nice tight wrap keep those hops fresh for 2 weeks?

Also what about .5 styrian FWH and .5 at 60 min? I've never done a FWH but am intrigued by what I've read.

I've been very happy with AHS brews in the past and the tinkering is not to 'improve' the recipe but more ways that might tweak it to my own gustatory idiosyncracies...

zip loc baggie, drop the open hop packet it, zip almost completely, suck the air out with your mouth, while sucking seal the bag.

That's what i do for the lbs of hops i buy, works fine. I don't think you have any loss that way. I don't know that you could substitute for the effect of the dry hopping, but i'm no expert on hopping either.

Tightly wrapped and in the fridge - somewhere dark - always works for me, too. I just bought that same kit and will brew tomorrow. Post back when you get some results - I'm really looking forward to this beer!

Yeah, I figured I would just end up doing that, but, esp with dry hopping, I figured I would lose some of the aroma/flavor (if even minimally), by opening and re-'sealing'.

pflugi- I am excited about this one, for sure!

I just got this kit the other day and am wrestling with the fermentation temperatures to use. Have you brewed this yet, if so what temp are you fermenting at. I am using the recommended wlp0570

I brewed this recipe a couple of weeks ago. On first taste, it is very floral. I'm hoping it settles out after a while. I need to try it again as I haven't had any in the past 2 weeks.

Let me know how yours turns out. I'd be interested to see if somehow my process imparted more floral undertones.

I would be pretty interested in floral undertones, I think...

What were your fermentation temps? I brewed on Tuesday, got the Temp to upper 60s and have kept the brew at 72.C since. That is kind of the ambient T. I am thinking of dropping to 68 for a few days and then finishing back up in the low 70s. I want to get some of the clove flavor out of the yeast before going back to esters. My temp control is nothing more than downstairs, upstairs and close to the vent. Which would probably yield 68.C, 72.C and 75-77.C respectively.

Let me know, as this is my first foray into Belgians!

PS Chris. Are you talking about the Golden Celeia Pilsner here? I used the WLP570, not a lager strain, btw.

Floral, huh? That sounds like a good thing, especially with the hop load going on in this. I dry hopped mine for 6 days only, trying to avoid any grassy notes, but in tasting while bottling, it seemed to have the bright, spiciness I expected. I'll let you know in a few weeks how things turned out on my end.

It has gotten much better as it has aged. I have tried a few the last couple of days and it has been much milder.

I just popped open a bottle after about 4 weeks in bottle and it definently has a spicy character to it. Trying to pinpoint what it is exactly. Any thoughts, this is my first recipe like this. Still a noob making mostly hops and ambers.

It is good I will say.

I'm only a 10 days in bottle right now, can't wait to pop it open though

Back