American Amber Ale Hoppy American Amber or Malty American Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this up using Jamil's Evil Twin hopping schedule. Similar to Yooper's but Amarillo subbed for Cascade, and Magnum 60 min addition --> Amarillo/Centennial 20 min addition. Followed your grain bill to a T. I think the naked oats are key. Mashed a bit higher at 154 and pitched S-05. I thought this beer was delicious, so I entered it into competition as an American Amber, where it took Silver out of 27 American Ale entries. Thanks Yoop!

Oh, I love amarillo- that sounds awesome! I'll have to try it with this recipe. Thanks for sharing it!

Still waiting to drink, OG for me on this was 1.066 (too much eff ;p ) and FG was 1.017 w/Denny's fav... smell was so incredible out of the primary.. SWMBO commented while helping me bottle that the smell was incredible so it wasn't just me. Mine is almost a reddish copper too btw...

OK so I couldn't resist, tried a young bottle. All I can say is - WOW! As SWMBO and I worked on our glasses, we couldn't help smiling and laughing at how well it had turned out. It starts out big and malty, then the hops come through with a good clean bite.

Awesome times ahead. :mug:

OK so: I took a selection of my brews to a weekend family gathering. The results were not unexpected: The younger generation (our daughters and their friends) absolutely loved Yooper's Amber, as I've been calling it. It was a very big success, consider this a fourteen thumbs up.

The older generation seemed to prefer the Centennial Blonde, and the O'Flannagain Stout.

Everybody liked the Apfelwein.

But back to Yooper's Amber: If you like hops, if you like amber beers, you must brew this. It's absolutely great.

I think I need more Better Bottles.

We just brewed 15gal of this @ Yooper's Brew Day . We ended up hitting 1.070 due to boiling off around 3/4gal more wort then we had planned. We discussed topping up with water, but I think I will just leave my share as is. Thinking about dry hopping with some Cascade and Amarillo.

We just brewed 15gal of this @ Yooper's Brew Day . We ended up hitting 1.070 due to boiling off around 3/4gal more wort then we had planned. We discussed topping up with water, but I think I will just leave my share as is. Thinking about dry hopping with some Cascade and Amarillo.

And I believe we all used S05, due to my failure with a starter of the last of the washed Denny's Favorite that I had.

Dang, I've got about 9 gallons of this kegged that I guess I'm just going to have to tap one of them. As for Denny's Favorite, I saw it recently as being available at Northern Brewer if this is the same as I always seem to hear about.

Just came across this recipe and am really excited to try it. I am not quite at the all-grain level just yet so would like to attempt a partial mash or extract version if possible.

If I just replace the base malt with some DME and steep the rest would that suffice for the recipe?

Yes, except Munich malt must be mashed. Now, don't worry! A mash is basically a steep. Just make sure you do it for 60 minutes at 153. Use all the specialty grains called for, and mash it in 1.5 quarts per pound of grain. A grain bag is fine, or two if you need it so the grains are "loose" in there. Keep it at 153-154 for 60 minutes, and then pour 170 degree water over those grain bags to get to your boil volume. Sub DME for the 2-row. You'll be all set!

Hey Yooper, you wouldn't mind converting this recipe to Extract for us newbies would ya please? This sounds like a great brew!

Well, I'm not sure it can be as a fully extract beer, but it could definitely be done as a partial mash.

Munich malt can convert itself, so if you could mash about 5 pounds of grain, you could do this as a PM.

It would be:
1.5 lbs Pale Malt
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt
1 lbs Munich Malt
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
8.0 oz Golden Naked Oats
2.0 oz Chocolate malt (pale) (200.0 SRM)

Put grain in grainbag loosely (use two grain bags if you don't have enough room.) Add the grains to 8 quarts of 165 degree water, and stir well to thoroughly mix. Let sit at 153 for an hour, and then sparge by either lifting the grainbag over the pot and pouring 170 degree water, up to your boil volume, OR lift out the grainbag and put into a second pot of 170 degree water (again, up to your boil volume). Combine the runnings, and then bring to a boil and proceed with the hops additions. At flame out (or with 10 minutes left in the boil if you prefer), add 5 pounds light DME.

That should be about right.

I just brewed my second batch of this beer. Well not exactly this beer, but something similar that was based upon the beer that started this thread:

2-row 6.5#
Naked Golden Oats 1#
Flaked Oats 1#
C-60 1/2#
C-120 1/2#
Chocolate 1/4#

Mash at 154

Northern Brewer 10% 0.75 oz FWH
Northern Brewer !0% 1 oz 15min
Cascade 1 oz 10 min
Cascade 1 oz 0 min

Denny's Favorite at 65 degrees.

The first keg is about to kick and it was gooood.

BTW Yooper - I've never seen anybody have two more different avatars in a 24 hour period. I like this one better even if it's not as cute. Congrats.

BTW Yooper - I've never seen anybody have two more different avatars in a 24 hour period. I like this one better even if it's not a cute. Congrats.

Haha- my grandson is cute that's for sure. But sometimes I need to feel a little dominatrix-ish. I'm in the mood for a whip.

I just kegged this today, brewed on July 10. It finished at 1.010, starting at 1.070. I got 4.75 finished gallons, at 7.8% ABV. :drunk: It's good, but not the session beer I first envisioned!

In your opinion is 2 weeks enough time in primary? I will be gone for a week at the end of August and hate to leave a brew in the primary when I am not around to monitor the temp. Especially on a day like today when it is 105!

If I brew this weekend it will give me about 14-15 days before I bottle or keg (kegging will depend on if I have the room at the time). Would that be enough time or should I just wait until I get back?

Been out of town so much this summer I haven't had a chance to brew but twice and it is killing.

In your opinion is 2 weeks enough time in primary? I will be gone for a week at the end of August and hate to leave a brew in the primary when I am not around to monitor the temp. Especially on a day like today when it is 105!

If I brew this weekend it will give me about 14-15 days before I bottle or keg (kegging will depend on if I have the room at the time). Would that be enough time or should I just wait until I get back?

Been out of town so much this summer I haven't had a chance to brew but twice and it is killing.

I kegged mine after three weeks this time, but when I talked to lschiavo today, he mentioned that he's already drinking his. (We brewed together on July 9!)

So, yes, I'd say two weeks is fine if it's relatively clear and ready to bottle.

I think it is about time to keg my portion from Yooper's brew day. Looks like I need to head over to the LHBS for some starsan and a few other much needed supplies.

pictures? I'd love to see this beer, I'm considering brewing something very similar.
Dude, I tried - all I got was a picture of an empty glass with some lingering lacing. Something must be wrong with my camera, I can't imagine what.

Mine was the color of maple syrup. Hope that helps.

Perfect brewday on this one: hit the mash temp and preboil gravity right on, boiled down to exactly 5.5g (scaled up from the original reicpe), and cooling right now. I subbed 1 pound of 2-row for Maris Otter (just to use up the MO), reduced the Crystal 40 to .5# and added 1# of Carared (20L), but otherwise followed the recipe as provided. Already looking forward to this beer. Thanks, Yoop.

I did a mini mash version of this recipe and as it sits now at 3 weeks in the bottle it is very very good. I am about to start another batch soon as I dont think this one will last very long even with just me drinking it. Thanks for the great beer Yooper!

I had several glasses of this last night. It was gawdawful two months after brewing, but it's really come into it's own month's later. Not sure if others had a similar experience.

I just brewed this up today! OG came in at 1.063 because my boiloff has been hard to predict as the weather changes, but it smells great!

Oh noes! I bottled mine 2 1/2 weeks ago and tasted one to see how it's coming along... diacetyl! That's not usually a green beer thing, right? I hope it goes away...

It spent 4 weeks in primary then I bottled... hopefully it was just produced via bottle conditioning and the yeast in the bottles will clean it up.

I'm not a fan of chocolate malt in an amber. It imparts flavor, not just color. An ounce would be ok if you just want a darker color, but I'd add it as crystal 120L rather than chocolate.

I love ambers- that's one of my favorite styles. Here's a nice article from our wiki on the style: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/American_Amber_Ale

In short, I'd crystal malt from 40-80L in the amount of 15%. I'd use about 5% Munich malt, and hop it up with only American hops. The willamette is ok if you feel you have to use it, but the goldings are out of place. I've never used liberty so I don't know about those. I'd use cascade and another US hop, and hop to about 35-40 IBUs with an OG of 1.050ish.

I also wouldn't use Windsor English yeast- I'd go with S-05 for a cleaner flavor and better attenuation.

So, let's see. I'd suggest:
US two-row (80%)
Crystal 40L (6%)
Crystal 80L (9%)
Munich malt (5%)

Centennial 1 ounce (60 minutes) or to about 30 IBUs

Cascade 1 ounce 15 minutes
Cascade .5 ounce 5 minutes
Cascade .5 ounce 1 minute

Hey Yoop, You mentioned in this thread today that you are not a fan of chocolate malt in an amber. The OP has 4 oz. in this but you have 2 oz. in your recipe. I was thinking of brewing yours sometime soon so I'm curious to hear if you think your recipe would be better without the chocolate or if the 2 oz. is just about perfect. Thanks.

Going to try the PM version of this tonight, only I have some amarillo to use up so I will probably sub it for the centennial (which is hard to find around here these days). Will post results when its done.

I've done it with S05, and it's good. The Denny's gives a fuller mouthfeel, and a "richer" taste, but the s05 was very good as well.

Thanks yooper! On another note I downloaded the EZ spreadsheet 2.0 that we talked about in pm. When I set it up with my distilled water and plugged in how many pounds of crystal and roasted grains were in the beer I came out with a mash ph of 5.1 when adding 3 grams of cacl2. Is that going to be ok.

Thanks yooper! On another note I downloaded the EZ spreadsheet 2.0 that we talked about in pm. When I set it up with my distilled water and plugged in how many pounds of crystal and roasted grains were in the beer I came out with a mash ph of 5.1 when adding 3 grams of cacl2. Is that going to be ok.

I think so. I doubt that it really will be that low. If you have a meter (not strips), you can check it but I've never got a low pH with that recipe. I think it'll be fine.

What are your thoughts about subbing Victory for the biscuit, and flaked oats for the naked oats? I believe flaked oats are only 1 SRM whereas the naked are 10 SRM. Obviously the color contribution wont be there but maybe add to the mouthfeel?

What are your thoughts about subbing Victory for the biscuit, and flaked oats for the naked oats? I believe flaked oats are only 1 SRM whereas the naked are 10 SRM. Obviously the color contribution wont be there but maybe add to the mouthfeel?

The victory is fine (I use it in place of biscuit all the time) but I don't know about the flaked oats. They are different, as the naked oats are not "rolled oats".

Back