Overactive fermentation???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKennett

Reaction score
Hey guys, just put up my very first batch of homebrew! It's an American IPA extract kit from Williams Brewing. Smells yummy.

I have a question about my yeast and fermentation. I made a starter out of the Wyeast American Ale yeast and got a nice 1/4" thick sediment layer on the bottom of the flask. I pitched that to my cooled wort in a plastic bucket fermenter and topped it with an airlock. I have a very healthy looking krausen going on after 2 days of resting. So much so that foam is blowing out the top of the airlock. I took the airlock and stopper out today, cleaned and resanitized them, and put them back in, but it's still bubbling out. Is this ok? Should I do anything? I don't want the holes in the airlock to clog and cause pressure to build. Thanks for the advice!!

Just keep cleaning it up & keep it sanitary (Star-San). It sounds like you might be fermenting a little warm. Ideally the beer (not the room temp) should be around 65 F or less.Preferably less. I keep mine at 62 F.

Blow-off tube.

Basically a tube that fits in the neck of the carboy with the end submerged in a bottle, jug, etc... of sanitary liquid.

Actually if you have an airlcok blowoff right now it's best to clean, resanitize and install a blowoff tube.

Here's what I do with a 3 piece airlock,

Airlockbo2.jpg

The tube is the one that came with my bottling wand, with a tiny slit in it. I also saw/break off the little chriss/cross at the bottom of the shank, which helps keep goop from getting stuck.

The picture is just for illustation only, you actually want the container of sanitizer to sit below the fermenter.

But a blowoof just means you have a HEALTHY fermentation. It's OK!!!

The picture is just for illustation only, you actually want the container of sanitizer to sit below the fermenter.

Why is this? I actually have mine sit on a ledge in a chest freezer, about an inch below lid level, and I still get some beer flying into the water. Does it create less pressure?

Why is this? I actually have mine sit on a ledge in a chest freezer, about an inch below lid level, and I still get some beer flying into the water. Does it create less pressure?

It helps prevent....what's the term..."back wash?" "Back peressure?" Sucking the stuff back into the fermenter, if the temp changes or their is changes in air pressure......but I think an inch below lid level is fine...it I think the issue is that if it is a little lower than the top of the fermenter it is fine.

I usually prop mine on a stack of old vhs tapes until the hose hangs low and not too low to crimp the end at the airlock....

Revvy, that's the exact airlock I have. I have some extra tubing lying around, maybe I will sanitize it and give that a shot.

I'm not worried at all about the actual fermentation, it looks like it's going great. It's in my pantry which stays in the low-mid 60's. Very excited to have a homebrew :p

I usually prop mine on a stack of old vhs tapes until the hose hangs low and not too low to crimp the end at the airlock....

I use a racking cane holder to hold the hose in place. Not as scientific as VHS tapes mind you, but I would argue equal to more effective. ;)

SWMBO answer - put it in the tub/sink to not ruin the floor

My answer - I would put it in the tub/sink to not ruin the floor and have to listen to the wife. ;) I would insure that the airlock is clear of sediment and just clean/sterilize it much as I could and insure I'm using vodka instead of water to provide less chance of contamination.

Can't you run out to a big box hardware store and get yourself a hose...I hear one inch is a good fit for carboy mouths. Or sacrifice your bottling hose or something.

If not you just need to move it to someplace water/stain resistant and let it flow. Cleaning it out whenever you can.

Thanks Revvy. I can't make it out tonight. I put the carboy in a clothes hamper to protect the carpet. I really shouldn't have contamination issues though should I? It's pumping out CO2 like crazy...I can't imagine anything short of a dead sparrow getting in there. Hopefully it will calm down by tomorrow morning...I can remove the airlock, rinse it, sanitize it, fill it with sanitizer and put it back on.

When the cross on the bottom of the airlock clogs, all He)) can break loose! I have sent airlocks into the ceiling, others have had exploding carboys!:eek:

Back