"bubble gum" flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gecko45

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get that flavor that somewhat resembles bubble gum, in homemade soda?

One of my favorite soft drinks is Guaraná Brazilia (a specific brand that I can't find anymore :() and it has this flavor that reminds me of bubble gum. Recently I tried a can of Materva (a Cuban Yerba Maté drink) that has a similar bubble gum flavor. Is there some natural flavoring that they both happen to use? Any ideas how I might make a clone of either of these drinks, or at least something close?

This time of year Wal-Mart carries lots of flavored syrups for shaved ice. I saw a bottle of bubble gum flavor the other day. I'll bet you could use it to come up with something.

Did someone say bubblegum?

bubblegum.jpg

summersolstice, I'm trying to avoid any grassy flavor in my drinks so I'm not sure how well your ingredients would work here...

Aside from that, the taste I'm describing is a bit more subtle that I imagine the shaved ice flavors would be. Lacking any other suggestions I may get that and try experimenting a bit anyway to see what I get. I'll post about it if I come up with anything decent.

You can always use another flavor as your base and just add a little of the bubblegum syrup.

I just made a batch of what was supposed to be raspberry soda, but when I tried it I swear it tastes to me like liquid bubble gum! Here's the recipe:

1 gallon water (I just used a gallon jug of spring water)
2 tsp McCormick raspberry extract
2 cups table sugar
1/4 tsp yeast (I just use baking yeast for sodas)
5 drops red food coloring

I had intended to make a clear raspberry soda, but the yeast made it a little cloudy, so I decided to color it. The five drops of food coloring with the slight cloudiness of the yeast made a really pretty bubble-gum pink. I let it carb a couple of days and tried one--to me it tastes for all the world like bubble gum. I think the pink color helps with the impression. It could use a little more carbonation so I'm going to give it one more day before I chill it--don't want to give the kids a bubble-gum buzz!

Okay this finished carbonating and I put it in the fridge. Gave one to my 20-yr-old and he completely freaked out--"This tastes just like bubble gum!" So it's officially a recipe for bubble gum soda, not raspberry soda.

Okay this finished carbonating and I put it in the fridge. Gave one to my 20-yr-old and he completely freaked out--"This tastes just like bubble gum!" So it's officially a recipe for bubble gum soda, not raspberry soda.

This sounds like a great find. While I try to track down a local store that I could buy this extract from, would you be able to tell me if you get this flavor from the plain extract, or does the small amount of fermentation cause some sort of raspberry -> bubble gum flavor conversion? I want to know if I can just use sparkling water from my kegerator instead of setting up fermentation.

Thanks for your recipe, this helps me on my road to a "Bubble gum Mead". I am just hoping that the substitution of honey instead of table sugar will work. If not, I will just add sugar to the must to bring out the bubbly sweetness. :fro:

I just made a batch of what was supposed to be raspberry soda, but when I tried it I swear it tastes to me like liquid bubble gum! Here's the recipe:

1 gallon water (I just used a gallon jug of spring water)
2 tsp McCormick raspberry extract
2 cups table sugar
1/4 tsp yeast (I just use baking yeast for sodas)
5 drops red food coloring

I had intended to make a clear raspberry soda, but the yeast made it a little cloudy, so I decided to color it. The five drops of food coloring with the slight cloudiness of the yeast made a really pretty bubble-gum pink. I let it carb a couple of days and tried one--to me it tastes for all the world like bubble gum. I think the pink color helps with the impression. It could use a little more carbonation so I'm going to give it one more day before I chill it--don't want to give the kids a bubble-gum buzz!

Loranne oils has a very good bubble gum flavor. 5 drops or so mixed with some RIO flavorings (strawberry and/or cherry), 3-5 teaspoons of sugar in a 20oz soda bottle, then carbonate (i have a fizz giz).. tastes just like bubble gum

If you are interesrted in making your own bubble gum flavoured sodas, Amoretti (Amoretti.com or Amazon.com) sells an all natural syrup that tastes like bubble gum. All you need is a SodaStream home soda maker, or equivalent, and you're good to go!

Back