Aerating With An Electric Mixer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have been using a whisk to aerate my wort prior to pitching. Last time, I tried something different. I sanitized the beaters and wiped the electric mixed down with sanitizer, then used the mixer to aerate the wort.

That was the first time I have ever had to use a blowoff tube (I also pitched two packs of US-05), so I guess it worked.

This should do the trick, until I get around to making an air pump or oxygen rig.

There's a tool used in winemaking for this (actually, the opposite - it's to de-gas). It's called a stir-mix or a mix-stir. It's about $15-$30 (plastic shaft/stainless shaft), hooks to a drill motor, and if ran at high enough speed, creates a vortex that will suck the entire room into the fermenter.

I believe that aerating the wort is not required when pitching sufficient quantities of dry yeast. The cell counts pitched are sufficient, O2 and reproduction are not required.

There's a tool used in winemaking for this (actually, the opposite - it's to de-gas). It's called a stir-mix or a mix-stir. It's about $15-$30 (plastic shaft/stainless shaft), hooks to a drill motor, and if ran at high enough speed, creates a vortex that will suck the entire room into the fermenter.

Yea - but don't use it to whirlpool! I ended up with a very unique modern sculpture. I'm thinking of displaying in New York.

That was the first time I have ever had to use a blowoff tube (I also pitched two packs of US-05), so I guess it worked.

This should do the trick, until I get around to making an air pump or oxygen rig.

It was due to the fact you pitched two packs of 05 (or overfilled your primary), as dry yeast doesn't require aeration.

It was due to the fact you pitched two packs of 05 (or overfilled your primary), as dry yeast doesn't require aeration.

Dry yeast doesn't require aeration? Really?

That is the first I have heard of that. The aeration (oxygen, really) is needed by the yeast to aid in budding (reproduction). Dry yeast does not reproduce at the beginning?

ETA: Upon a bit of googling, it appears that aeration with dry yeast is optional. Dry yeast has a high cell count to begin with, plus has plenty of energy reserve included. You learn something new every day...

(though, I will probably keep aerating with dry yeast. I don't think it will hurt, and may speed up the start of fermentation)

You learn something new every day...
(though, I will probably keep aerating with dry yeast. I don't think it will hurt, and may speed up the start of fermentation)

I know I learn something new everyday on this site. It certainly won't hurt to aerate with dry yeast, I usually give mine a few good spins after pitching.:mug:

Since I pitch the dry yeast right into the wort (as opposed the hydrating correctly) I aerate as well to give the yeast what they need to grow.

Bobby M actually did a pretty thorough test of this and concluded that aerating will actually delay the start of fermentation. W/ o2 present, the yeast will multiply to use up the available o2, then begin fermentation.

Not really sure...check out the video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOrfmzpDmPk&feature=PlayList&p=320A28425782C065&index=0]YouTube - Dry Yeast Experiment[/ame]

Back