Please VOTE I need your input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Help me decide my next batch!

• Skeeter Pee

• Apfelwein

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I have my primary and an empty 5 gal carboy empty.
I have been wanting to try Skeeter pee and Apfelwein for a while now. Help me decide! Thanks-Giddy

Apfelwein. I love me some skeeter pee, but Apfelwein is a top shelf, age it out and love it wine where skeeter pee is just an outback playin horseshoes hard lemonade.

My wife loves the apfelwein. My wife's friends love the apfelwein. Therefore, having apfelwein on tap means that I have spousal support to brew, and have get togethers at the house.

I'm in the minority, I find nothing redeeming about Apfelwein. Never had Skeeter and it sounds like I'd rather make an Oktoberfest. :)

You know.. I voted apfelwein but on consideration I should have said skeeterpee, and my consideration is thus:

Skeeterpee can and should be drunk young. Apfelwein has an aging curve in which it improves greatly. So if you make the skeeterpee and then start the apfelwein as soon as the pee hits secondary, you should have much wonderful things to drink back-to-back, with the apfelwein just hitting its stride as you finish the last of the pee (this is a BS possible scenario based on an assumption regarding how fast you drink lol)

I vote for making the apfelwein first let it go for a few weeks, the put in secondary. Then toss the skeeter pee in on the cake, this will drastically reduce the additional steps to get the skeeter pee started. I have done a number of times and it works great. You will get your apfelwein started first since it need time to mellow and your skeeter pee will be finished just in time for spring.

step 1 make apfelwein
step 2 make skeeter pee on apfelwein yeast cake
step 3 winning:ban:

step 1 make apfelwein
step 2 make skeeter pee on apfelwein yeast cake
step 3 winning:ban:

Winning!

Charlie-Sheen-Winning-Poster.jpg

Make the apfelwein then do the skeeter pee on the apfelwein yeast cake. Can't go wrong.

When you say do the skeeter pee on the yeast cake do you just siphon off the apfelwein and dump the skeeter pee on top or do you have to wash the yeast like you would beer? Is there even a need to wash wine yeast if using the yeast cake?

When you say do the skeeter pee on the yeast cake do you just siphon off the apfelwein and dump the skeeter pee on top or do you have to wash the yeast like you would beer? Is there even a need to wash wine yeast if using the yeast cake?

No need to wash the yeast. Just Prepare the lemon must ahead of time,24-48 hours, to let the preservatives evaporate. Then siphon off the apfelwein (or any other wine) and pour the skeeter pee must directly onto the apfelwein yeast cake.

Back