auto siphons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
I currently have racking tube, siphon tube, and a plastic syringe that holds about 2 oz. It works Ok, but sometimes takes a couple of syringe 'pulls' to get a solid flow going.
Plus syringe is at bottom of siphon tube, so obviously once flow is started, I have to take out syringe quickly, causes a small mess and/or splashing.

I'd like to get an auto-siphon, from here
Austin Homebrew Supply

where should I begin? how do those work? is it basically same thing I have now, or something more effective?
1/2" or 3/8"?

Thanks,

autosiphons are awesome, you will never regret getting one! My Autosiphon is 3/8th inch diameter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the autosiphon was the best gadget I have bought so far. No mess when siphoning, easy to clean, keeps the trub out and is super quick and easy to use. The only thing I don't like about it is that the inside tubes are slightly fragile but will not break as long as you treat them with a little respect. I would def get one. Mine is 3/8 and it works fine for a 5 gal batch.

so does the auto siphon also act as the racking cane?

you just need siphon and loose siphon tube right?

I was a big fan until mine no longer siphoned.

Now I just curse at it's worthlessness and debate buying another.

I think the autosiphon was the best gadget I have bought so far. No mess when siphoning, easy to clean, keeps the trub out and is super quick and easy to use. The only thing I don't like about it is that the inside tubes are slightly fragile but will not break as long as you treat them with a little respect. I would def get one. Mine is 3/8 and it works fine for a 5 gal batch.

It's funny you say this because mine broke the very first time I used it. :(

While we are on the subject, are there any good ways to siphon WITHOUT using the auto-siphon? Someone said to fill the tubing with water first and then that will start the siphon without having to put your mouth on the tubing, but I don't understand how you can fill the tubing with water and get it into the beer without water going into the beer...?

so can someone tell me, do i need a racking cane for this auto-siphon (the one on austin home brew)

Or just need auto siphon and siphon tube?
I currently have 3/8", but want to get 1/2" auto and tube, but need to know if I need racking cane also.

but I don't understand how you can fill the tubing with water and get it into the beer without water going into the beer...?

maybe like you do to a straw? fill it up, put finger on one end, put other end in source vessel, then lower the end with finger below height of source.. etc. etc.

so can someone tell me, do i need a racking cane for this auto-siphon (the one on austin home brew)

Or just need auto siphon and siphon tube?
I currently have 3/8", but want to get 1/2" auto and tube, but need to know if I need racking cane also.

When I bought my autosiphons, they came with the racking cane insert. It has a special rubber-type end on it to create the suction/pressure to start the siphon. So all you need is the "auto-siphon" and the appropriate hosing.

Curt

AutoSiphon! One of the best gadgets I have bought. I have the 1/2 inch model.

While we are on the subject, are there any good ways to siphon WITHOUT using the auto-siphon? Someone said to fill the tubing with water first and then that will start the siphon without having to put your mouth on the tubing, but I don't understand how you can fill the tubing with water and get it into the beer without water going into the beer...?

You don't fill the entire tubing with water, just enough in the end portion to get the siphon going. :ban:

I tried the whole water in the tube to start the siphon and I could never get it to work well. I felt all I did was contaminate the siphon tubing by messing around with it. Maybe some people have this down but I would rather not worry about it and concentrate on other things while brewing.

The equipment kit I bought from Midwest came with one, and I can't imagine not having one. I'm still on my first brew, and I've already used it three times. Because I'm new, I'm PARANOID about keeping things sanitized, and that is the only issue I have with this, I have to fill the autosiphon with sanitizer, fill the hose that is attached, then seal off the hose for 20 minutes while the sanitizer does it's thing. Definitely highly recommended though.

then seal off the hose for 20 minutes while the sanitizer does it's thing.

Sounds like you need some Starsan or Iodophor. They require short contact and the residual fluid left on the object will sanitize. My first kit came with c-brite I believe and it sucked.

Yeah, I'm currently using Clorox bleach highly diluted. I don't like it, and I'm aware of the issues with it. From the little research I've done, it sounds like StarSan is the way to go, I'll probably be getting myself a bottle next time I order.

Are there issues with StarSan or Iodophore deteriorating or eating plastic/metal equipment?

Yeah, I'm currently using Clorox bleach highly diluted. I don't like it, and I'm aware of the issues with it. From the little research I've done, it sounds like StarSan is the way to go, I'll probably be getting myself a bottle next time I order.

Are there issues with StarSan or Iodophore deteriorating or eating plastic/metal equipment?

both Starsan and Idophore are safe with Stainless, Glass, Aluminum, and plastic.

Idophore may add a slight discoloration to a white alepail if you concentrate it too strong and/or leave it in contact too long, but that is harmeless.

both Starsan and Idophore are safe with Stainless, Glass, Aluminum, and plastic.

Idophore may add a slight discoloration to a white alepail if you concentrate it too strong and/or leave it in contact too long, but that is harmeless.

Well from what I can tell, Starsan is the way to go. It is the most referenced sanitizer in the literature I've been reading, and it seems to be what y'all use. Thanks for the pointers.

Latest posts

Back