bottle carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex_wilkosz

Reaction score
so i racked about 4 weeks ago, no carbination. think i didnt get enough yeast left in my bottles for the yeast to eat the sugar up. should i uncap and drop a few yeasties from a dry yeast package in each and recap?

Need more info.

What type of beer?
Do you mean bottled 4 weeks ago?
How long did you take between brewing and bottling?
Ale or lager?
What temperature did you ferment at?
How much priming sugar did you use?
What size is your batch?
What temp do you have your bottles at?

I've left a cider for 3 months and still had enough yeast around to bottle condition. Unless something crazy happened, 4 weeks is nowhere near enough time for all of the yeast to go so dormant that you can't bottle condition.

no sediment. i think i didnt grab enough of the yeast when i bottled.

info:
creame ale
yes bottled 4 weeks ago
brewing to bottle time was 1 month
fermented at 66 degrees
standard priming sugar amount
5 gallon batch
bottles sit at 68 right now i had sitting at 70 earlier

I don't think the yeast is your problem- I've bottled beers after two months of lagering and not had a carbonation issue. What kind of yeast did you use, and what was the OG and FG?

What's your storage temp? Generally speaking @ 70 degrees it takes about 3 weeks to carb up...my loft is in the low to mid 60's right now, so it's taking mine much longer to get up to snuff. I just cracked a beer that would normally be done @ 3 weeks when I brew it in the summer, where the ambient temp is in the 70's, and it doesn't even have a fizzel yet.

Which sux because I'm going to bottle some beers that I intended to take to Christmas, but they may not be ready by then.

I just cracked a bottle open from a batch I bottled two weeks ago. It made a noise when I opened it but no carbonation. I know it's working, slower than I wanted but it's working.

Give it more time and see if you can get the temps above 70... most yeast I understand like warmer temps for carbing..

Here is a question: The closet where I store my beer shares an outside wall and has been getting as low as 60 degrees lately, consistently 65 - 68 or so. Like others its taking a little longer for my ale to carb, but no problems. Anyone know if these low temps have a positive or negative effect? Will the patience of a long slow conditioning below 65 degrees be rewarded? Or no difference?

i had the same problem with my pumpkin ale. i let it set for 3 weeks and cracked a bottle open to test it. it hissed when opened, but no carbination at all. my closet was a little on the cool side, so i moved it into the room where my furnace was and within 3 days of temps around 73-75, i had full carbination. it turned out to be the best brew i've made to date.

Here is a question: The closet where I store my beer shares an outside wall and has been getting as low as 60 degrees lately, consistently 65 - 68 or so. Like others its taking a little longer for my ale to carb, but no problems. Anyone know if these low temps have a positive or negative effect? Will the patience of a long slow conditioning below 65 degrees be rewarded? Or no difference?

The only affect might actually be for the better. Cooler temps will make for a tighter sediment layer on the bottom, and cleaner beer. More yeast would flocculate down. Now trying to do this on purpose may take a lot of trial and error, and patience, you got to find the sweet spot between active yeast and not a temp where the yeast would go dormant.

well i flipped the bottles turned up the heat in my apartment a bit and am hoping for some better results. i also put them in the middle of the room near a wall that is more central in the warm spot of the apartment....its hard keeping temps correct in winter at an apartment. if this doesnt work i dunno what to do

Did you mix the priming sugar in well? What amount of sugar did you use? You did disolve the sugar before adding it to the brew?

Back