IKEA swing top bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes they do hold pressure I have 12 of them and use them all the time.

Cream of three crops bottle conditioned ended up with a little more than I could fit in the keg

IKA.JPG

About six months ago i picked up a few 32 oz clear swing top bottles at IKEA for $2 a piece! i would have picked up more but i wasnt sure they would be able to withstand carb pressure.

well the bottles have worked out tremendously. i went back to get a bunch more yesterday and i didnt see them anywhere! :mad:

has anyone else bought these at an IKEA recently? if you see them, buy them. they are a steal at $2 a whack.

lots of them in Atlanta, GA Ikea! Bought 4 yesterday

photo.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same type of bottles, as I don't have an IKEA very close, but I know that at a place called Jungle Jim's in Cincy, I've found a drink (French I think they say) that is sort of like a carbonated (sparkling) lemonade. I buy this stuff anytime I see it because it comes in a swing-top bottle and my two year old loves the juice. They are fantastic for gifts as someone pointed out!

Looks kind of like this link, but not nearly as expensive. Only a buck or two!

French Sparkling Lemonade

The link you provided doesn't work anymore, so I can't really do any further research on it. But a lot of those sparkling lemonades are naturally carbonated, which means they contain trace amounts of alcohol. You might want to look into that before giving more to your two year old :/

Hey Guys,
I'm about to brew beer for the first time and couldn't be more excited. About 2 months ago I purchased these very same Ikea 1L flip top bottles just for this purpose. However while reading through the directions first, they mention that the bottles used must have previously held a carbonated beverage. Now obviously they are brand new and presumably have never held any beverage. How important is this little note? Do I have to go out and buy some club soda and run it through each bottle before I use them?
Thanks for your help!

I use these bottles all the time. I have about 10 of them. I would definitely recommend getting some new gaskets from your Local Homebrew shop. The replacement gaskets are made of rubber and usually orange in color. They seal MUCH better than the clear silicone ones taht come on the bottles from ikea.

They are really great to take to parties as they hold a little over 2 pints each.

Hey Guys,
I'm about to brew beer for the first time and couldn't be more excited. About 2 months ago I purchased these very same Ikea 1L flip top bottles just for this purpose. However while reading through the directions first, they mention that the bottles used must have previously held a carbonated beverage. Now obviously they are brand new and presumably have never held any beverage. How important is this little note? Do I have to go out and buy some club soda and run it through each bottle before I use them?
Thanks for your help!

Read the note as meaning: "the bottles must be rated to withstand carbonation pressure without exploding into a thousand tiny skin shearing glass shards."
It doesn't have anything to do with actually having any kind of liquid in them.
Don't really know if these Ikea bottles are pressure rated so I can't help you out.

I was wondering if anybody has taken these bottles beyond the standard CO2 levels. I'm thinking about bottling up some belgianesque beer in these that might be 3+ volumes and don't need 3 dollar bottle bombs.

Portland, Or. had them last time I looked. I think the price went up from the first time I bought them. Go Figure. I did change the washer on them to the ones we get at the brew shop, they didnt seem to have any give to them just hard plastic. But I do like them.

Warning! My sister had a box of these explode while moving around the house. Not sure on carb volume but I wouldn't recommend carbonation period in these.

Latest posts

Back