The Plastic Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igorstien

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

I was wondering who among you uses a carboy for a primary instead of the "white plastic bucket".

My work involves some travel and sometimes for extended periods, and those periods are usually a surprise. So I was thinking about having the brew in the carboy with an airlock at the beginning incase I was gone for a very long time. I would still rack when I wasn't traveling , but I was thinking about this so I wouldn't lose a brew to the dreaded OXYGEN MONSTER!!!!

Any thoughts??

I think that more people here use carboys than buckets, but I could be wrong about that. In any case a lot of us do use carboys, and yes if there's a chance that you could suddenly be called away for a few weeks, then a carboy would be better than a bucket, IMHO.

I don't know about everyone else and I don't want to open a can of worms, but I use 'Glass 6.5 gal carboys for everything, that includes primary and secondary fermentation. they are easier to sanitize ( no scratches)
and they are clear so I can see what's happening.
I never could see a reason for plastic buckets, Carboys don't cost that much. If you use an oxy cleaner between fermentations they are pretty easy to clean. At least that is my opinion.

I use both a plastic bucket as well as a glass carboy for primaries and in defence of the poor old bucket I love the spigot! I find it much more easy to rack using the spigot rather than the auto-siphon.

To be honest the one thing I hate sanitizing the most is the racking cane!

So I'm tasting a beer, and I go, "hmm.. plastic primary, glass carboy for a secondary, about 1997 or so, perhaps summer 1998..."
Just make the beer...
I use a white bucket for primary, and a glass carboy for secondary, then flip tops for bottling. I see no huge difference either way.

I bought a wallpaper soaking tray, it's plastic and just about the correct size for sanitizing my racking canes and whatever won't fit handy in a bucket.
Holds about two gallons of sanitizing solution.

I myself use 6.5 gallon carboys for my primary, and 5 gallon carboys for my secondarys. Why? My choice only.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages...

Plastic - Can scratch easy, must be cleaned and stored carfully. Can absorb wort and become stained. Lid must be almost fully opened for inspection and gravity readings. But, can be stacked easy for storage with a towel between each bucket, light weight, and blocks light. And they bounce if dropped.

Glass - Heavy, can be hard to handle and will break if dropped. Light gets in, and must be covered. But, absorbs nothing, easy to clean, and you can easily inspect the progress and take gravity readings.

It comes down to personal choice and usage.

I stopped using my plastic buckets a few years ago. There is nothing wrong with plastic fermenters but mine were all scratched up so I started buying carboys to replace them. I don't worry about the carboys so much and I find them easier to clean. (Except getting the gunk off of the top from the Kraeusen.)
I always use a 1" blow-off tube to avoid problems of fermenting beer clogging the air-lock.

Thanks for the tip Snaproll - I'll give that a go because that is exactly why I hate sanatizing them - I have nothing that canes fit in.

And radarbrew - I couldn't stop laughing at your post!

i personally find the krausen gunk such a pain to clean that i use the plastic for a primary, but if i found a easy way to clean them i'd probably change.

i put my racking cane/ hose into my carboy filled with water/iodophor solution. Since it doesnt get completley submerged after ten minutes or so i simply flip flop it to sanitize the other end.

a trick for cleaning glass primaries is to first rinse with cold water. you can get most of the trub out that way, and youll have less foaming action. then i fill it up with hot, soapy water and let it sit for 10 min. then scrub it with my carboy brush.

after rinsing i fill it with cold water and an ounce or two of bleach and soak overnight. then the next day i rinse w/ hot soapy water and air dry.

I've been using the same 4 buckets since my 4th batch (ummm mr. beer was the first 3) that was 20ish batches ago.

I always clean with soft side of scotchbright with little soap, rinse well, 2 cups bleach or so (I just pour by eye) to 5 gallons fill to top, splash on sides, rotate lid & seal in it a few times, cover and let sit 30 minutes. rinse well with HOT water 2-4 times and close up for racking. air dry well for storage.

I do this before and after use each time. They are stained a little and I do not stack them inside each other. I think the bleach at this level kills anything (I do not have a bleach residue or smell) - wear gloves it kills your hands as well.

never had one single botched batch other than recipe! they work better for me for the space I have as I'd like to watch the action but it isn't in the cards for me.

all in all I'm probably due for new buckets just to knock on wood but they are still 100% safe IMO with this method.

my bucket is full of scratches and it still hasnt screwed a batch I plan on getting a new bucket and glass secondary (im running a plastic carboy for secondary now) I will still use the plastic but I want the glass for longer aged brews and wine.

I just filled one of my old plastic fermenters with wort from my brew kettle today. I let it set for the trub to fall out then racked it into glass. I was going to use my other carboy but I've got an ESB in it. Duh! I got to thinking about it. I throughly cleaned the bucket and filled it with a sanitizing solution (iodophor) and let it sit for about an hour. If there is any bacteria left ,even in the scratches, after that I'd be surprised. I kinda liked using the bucket. It worked well for me.

Ok Guys I sense a little defensiveness here ( is that a word?). I did say that the 'glass thing was my opinion . heh if it works for you using plastic then why fix what ain't broke??
Oh and I mentioned Oxy cleaner for the carboys I got the idea here in the forums.
You can buy this stuff at a Family Dollar store or even Ace hardware, ( I don't know if these are national chains or what).
Anyway the stuff is a combination of sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate, and it is marketed as a stain remover for washing clothes.
You may have seen that obnoxious guy advertising it on the tube as OXY CLEAN. What I bought is a generic.
I bought a 6.lbs container for $5.00 and it comes with a little scoop.
I put 3 scoops in a 6.5 gal carboy yesterday with warm water up to the top . and capped with an airlock ( you can't seal it up ). and today the Krausen gunk is all but gone. no scubbing and no scraping honest. after this I'll rinse well and sanitise before use.( actually I'll let it sit till I need it with this stuff in it). better living through chemistry!! hope this helps.:mug:

I've only done one brew and after using the plastic primary once I went and bought two 6.5 glass carboys... I jsut like to see whats going on... maybe its becasue I'm new, but seeing that airlock moving makes me want to rip the plastic top off and peak in the bucket... hehee.. I know when both carboys are filled, I'll go back and still use my two plastic fermenters... whatever floats your boat...

Jester

Jester said:
I've only done one brew and after using the plastic primary once I went and bought two 6.5 glass carboys... I jsut like to see whats going on... maybe its becasue I'm new, but seeing that airlock moving makes me want to rip the plastic top off and peak in the bucket... hehee.. I know when both carboys are filled, I'll go back and still use my two plastic fermenters... whatever floats your boat...

Jester
I agree with you. I put a hony ale in my carboy this afternoon and it is really going to town. The krausen is almost into the blow off tube! I like being able to see what's going on.

Back