Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ladodger34 said:
why do people equate dark beer w/ what I assume they think is high ABV?

Because the only dark beer most people have tried is Guinness and that messed them up good!

Or maybe it was the jäger bombs... Hmmm....

bleme said:
Because the only dark beer most people have tried is Guinness and that messed them up good!

Or maybe it was the jäger bombs... Hmmm....

I get that. I can't stand Guinness for the most part, but I think I don't like the nitro part of it. I like the extra stout thought. It's just funny to that some of the pretty heavy hitters (abv wise) I've had are IPAs and they aren't dark at all.

Some people I occasionally go out drinking with would bug me from time to time about some samples of beers I made. One time, I brewed up a batch of pale ale, and it was above average. I had put some up in "used" plastic root beer bottles, so I decided to let them sample it. One evening I gave them the samples, and gave them the spiel about putting it in a glass, ect.

A couple of weeks later I run into them again, and asked if they had a chance to taste it. Their first comment was, they really don't like dark beer, and it was way too strong. I told them the P/A on the cap meant pale ale, and it really wasn't a dark beer. I explained dark beers look like coke, and if they wanted to sample some, I had some at home. Needless to say, they don't ask for samples any more.

why do people equate dark beer w/ what I assume they think is high ABV?

I'm pretty sure it's because most people drink perfectly transparent yellow, thin, watery, flavorless American Light Lagers. These beers are between 2.4% and 4.8% and a "normal" person will talk about having to drink the entire case to even get a buzz. Therefore, by sound reasoning, anything that is not that same fizzy yellow water in appearance MUST be stronger. If it's not this, then it must be that, right?

I'm pretty sure it's because most people drink perfectly transparent yellow, thin, watery, flavorless American Light Lagers. These beers are between 2.4% and 4.8% and a "normal" person will talk about having to drink the entire case to even get a buzz. Therefore, by sound reasoning, anything that is not that same fizzy yellow water in appearance MUST be stronger. If it's not this, then it must be that, right?

There are actually commercially available 2.4% beers? Wow. Is it for Jr. High kids? Or breakfast? What application does it have?

Our beers are technically 4.0% abv since cold beer is measured by alcohol by weight. But still non liquor store beer isn't worth it

Craigmn said:
Our beers are technically 4.0% abv since cold beer is measured by alcohol by weight. But still non liquor store beer isn't worth it

:confused:
Why do they say Alcohol By Volume if the are by weight? Wouldn't that be ABW instead???

Pretty sure I read something similar here already, but I work in retail and was helping a couple out with some beer selections. The wife asked what the difference was between a lager and an ale. Before I could explain, the husband cut in and let her know that ales just have more hops and barley. Luckily the wife was still interested in what I had to say :)

My training partner who found out that I brewed was telling me about the types of beer he likes, which included "the tripe-el." I know it's not that bad, just a mispronunciation, but now every time I see a tripel on the shelves or on tap, I think of tripe:eek:

"Best answer" for yahoo question "What beer has the highest alcohol?"

ok I know about beers and I know this BUD will kick yer butt.thats why I drink millers...its cheaper and less alcohol...they say lite beer has more alcohol but I aint noticed the diff...now about that black mess they call brew over in ireland I dont know if thats even beer...Its sure powerful stuff like yagermeister will kick butt too ..I will stay with my miller

flyingfinbar said:
My training partner who found out that I brewed was telling me about the types of beer he likes, which included "the tripe-el." I know it's not that bad, just a mispronunciation, but now every time I see a tripel on the shelves or on tap, I think of tripe:eek:

My BIL calls tripels that too. He like chimey and was telling me how awesome tripe-els were even though he's more of a lager guy according to him. So I said "yeah I brewed a tripel and it turned out pretty good." He just looked at me like I was the one pronouncing it wrong.

Bryali said:

I love when I have my Belgian strong ale on tap...it's not much darker than bud or miller, however it's 9%...so when "what do you have like bud?" guy comes over that's what he gets. I will pour my oatmeal stout for me at 4.5% and let the fun begin! I call it two for one night.

A bunch of friends and I were at a Craft Beer bar last weekend, and they had a nano-brewed Cask Ale on the menu (the name implied a farmhouse style ale). I asked our server if it was a farmhouse ale? She says "I'm not sure if it's brewed on a farm, I thought they made it next door. Want me to check for you?"

Really?! At a place called Beer Revolution

During a brew day a few weeks back my neighbor asked what I was cooking in my big kettle. I explained that I was brewing some beer, and he immediately got excited (he's an elderly retired gent who spends most of his time sitting on the front porch sipping Bud Lites). He asked me if he could have some when it was ready and I promised him I'd bring him over a six pack once it was finished.

A few hours later after I'd finished brewing and cleaned up he asked if he could have his six-pack now. I had to explain to him that it needed several weeks to ferment, age, clarify, and carbonate. I promised I'd bring him his six pack the day it was finished.

The poor old guy looked so sad when I told him he'd have to wait for his beer.... apparently he thought all I had to do was "pour in the alcohol" after I finished brewing and it'd be ready to drink. :cross:

:confused:
Why do they say Alcohol By Volume if the are by weight? Wouldn't that be ABW instead???

"ABV" always means alcohol by volume, but the "low alcohol beer" allowed to be sold cold in Oklahoma (and a few other states) is 3.2% ABW, equivalent to 4.0% ABV.
For a while, 3.2% beers were allowed to be sold to 18+ in some states (while anything higher was relegated to 21+), leading some bars to ONLY carry such beers so they didn't have to check ID's much, and could serve the same supply to everyone.

Yup. Ohio was like that when we were that age. We of course all voted for it!:mug: It was nice to stop on the way home from school for a couple cold ones with the guys.

Ahh. Thanks for clearing that up. The phone app doesn't show the posters location so when he said "our", all I could figure was he was talking about home brewers.

There are actually commercially available 2.4% beers? Wow. Is it for Jr. High kids? Or breakfast? What application does it have?

Well actually (hehe), Bud Select 55 (if it's even made still) is apparently 2.4% and MGD 64 is 2.8%. Pabst has an Extra Light that sits at about 2.5%. So, yes, they would be for High School kids wanting to drink beer but not knowing any better.

I love when I have my Belgian strong ale on tap...it's not much darker than bud or miller, however it's 9%...so when "what do you have like bud?" guy comes over that's what he gets. I will pour my oatmeal stout for me at 4.5% and let the fun begin! I call it two for one night.

I love it!!

You should pour one of each, offer them both and laugh when they choose the "light" 9% beer :D

Went to a local pub for lunch today...they only feature Iowa beers on tap, no megabrews. Talking with bartender about a new brewery that they just started serving...he starts to relate all their brews including a barley wine. He went on to say how dedicated the brewer was to the finest ingredients...including the homegrown grapes for the barley wine! I honestly was left speechless...on the upside the beers were all tasty including the barley wine...not a hint of grape flavor!

bergen69 said:
Went to a local pub for lunch today...they only feature Iowa beers on tap, no megabrews. Talking with bartender about a new brewery that they just started serving...he starts to relate all their brews including a barley wine. He went on to say how dedicated the brewer was to the finest ingredients...including the homegrown grapes for the barley wine! I honestly was left speechless...on the upside the beers were all tasty including the barley wine...not a hint of grape flavor!

Haha. This is hilarious.

Okay, I do have to ask...where was this pub?

(as an Iowan living in a region rather...devoid...of the craft brew scene)

dkwolf said:

I was at shorts burger and shine in Iowa c

dkwolf said:

I was at Shorts burger and shine in Iowa City. Great food and beer...really really stupid bartenders

Was at an Applebees a little while ago. When I asked the waitress what they had on tap she lists the usual bud miller coors sam adams, then says Troegs Dead Reckoning.
Waitress, when asked what style the beer was, "ummm, I think it's a PDA."
SWMBO: "Do you mean an IPA?"
Waitress: "Yes, an IPA"
Me, to SWMBO: "You know, after drinking the IPA we can supply some PDA."
SWMBO, to me then waitress: "No. He'll have the IPA, thanks."

Turns out Dead Reckoning is a porter

frolfer said:
Troegs Dead Reckoning.
Waitress, when asked what style the beer was, "ummm, I think it's a PDA."
SWMBO: "Do you mean an IPA?"
Waitress: "Yes, an IPA"
Me, to SWMBO: "You know, after drinking the IPA we can supply some PDA."
SWMBO, to me then waitress: "No. He'll have the IPA, thanks."

Turns out Dead Reckoning is a porter

Well actually, it's all the hops that make it so dark AND alcoholic! Pretty gutsy of you to drink one in public. I only drink Porters when I am within crawling distance of my bed! Learned that the hard way....

Well actually, it's all the hops that make it so dark AND alcoholic! Pretty gutsy of you to drink one in public. I only drink Porters when I am within crawling distance of my bed! Learned that the hard way....

Yeah, I hear that Porter is what they put in Nyquil, that's what does it all right...:fro:

Best "well actually" so far!

I just noticed that no one posted anything on st paddys day. Good job everyone :) way to NOT be on your computer on such a festive day. Ever overhear the classic "Those Europeans drink their beer warm." Well guess what? Most serve it at cellar temperature so you can actually taste it :)

dkwolf said:

So where in Iowa do you live...I know most brewers in state?

I offered a buddy one of my Kilkenny Ales and he said, "No thanks. I don't like dark beers." You could read a newspaper through that beautifully clear amber brew. I told him not to grab one of my chocolate stouts.

Honest truth? I have no idea. If you can ferment cabbage it doesnt seem totally out of the bounds of reason that you could ferment hops.

Was talking with a guy I just met and found out he considered himself a bit of a beer snob. When we got around to discussing styles of beer that we like I said that I enjoyed Milk Stouts over Dry Stouts. His response was that he had never tried a Milk Stout, that he had wanted to, but on the last brewery tour he went on they got there too late and the milk stout wasn't available because it had spoiled due to having a lot of milk in it.

CreamyGoodness said:
If you can ferment cabbage it doesnt seem totally out of the bounds of reason that you could ferment hops.

Mmmmm kimchi beer. Sounds deeeelish.

Back