Oxidation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stikolaboloni

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently fermenting my first batch and after reading up plenty took extra care with regard to avoiding oxygen exposure as best I can (after aerating the chilled wort and pitching my yeast).

In any case, last night after a week in the primary I transferred the beer to a secondary via the spigot (I realize there are many different views as to the merits of secondary fermentation vs leaving it in the primary)

Anyhoo long story short, I forgot to tilt the bucket as the beer level got down to the spout and so it gurgled a few air bubbles into the beer, maybe 2 seconds tops. Aside from that there was no splashing as I kept the tube below the surface, and throughout primary I never opened the airlock to peak or take a reading, etc. But I've read plenty of stuff how oxygen can ruin a batch

So basically my question is, is something seemingly that minor enough to sabotage my batch? I know I'll just have to wait and see, kinda just wondering if anyone else out there may have had a similar episode and lived to tell about it with a batch that turned out fine (or not)

Thanks!

Dude I Would not worry to Much. When I transfer my beer form primary to my carboy I don't have long enough hose so I shoot alot of air into mine without it oxidation. People worry to much in making bubbles and sanitizing stuff. The part to worry about this is when there no more sugar in the beer. And Yeats are not active. I have never had any bad batches. I think people are too paronoid.

Yeah, very big no for the answer. Ive racked with a mesh filter over a siphon to filter hop particles and it bubbled it about half, that made me nervous, i still have bottles of it from last march, and had one maybe a month ago and its good as ever.

No worries....I siphon and get some bubbles all the time. My first brew I had no idea what I was doing or how to siphon, I literally poured the beer from the carboy into the bottles and hand carbed them, no issues.

For such little air, the remain yeast will eat up that oxygen. You can save yourself a lot of trouble and risk by skipping the secondary altogether and just finishing out in the primary. The only time I secondary is if I'm adding something like fruit. I even dry hop in the primary, unless I want to reuse that yeast for another beer, then I will transfer before dry hopping.

I 2nd that stevo. I get a few bubbles right at the end of racking at the point where I have to tilt the FV a little to get the last bit of beer before any sediment comes out. Not enough o2 to worry about.
And I leave mine in primary unless adding something like oaking. I even dry hop in primary. The more transfers you do,the more chance for oxidation,& you loose a little beer each time.

Back