12 hour fermentation? Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlinmatt

Reaction score
Hi all- Just figuring out how to use this forum, (which is terrific, btw) so please bear with...
Brewed Jeepers Creepers American Lager,(Papazian) last night, modified with 1 pound of steeped Caramel malt, steeped pre boil, with the other ingredients:

4 lb Extra light plain
1 lb Rice extract
1 lb two row mild
1/2 oz boiling casscade
1/2 oz flavor cascade at ten minutes.

pitched American Lager liquid yeast pitched cold into 70 degree wort

No bubbles this morning, but judging by the small mess on the floor and side of the carboy, SOMETHING happened, I think. Also, there is about an inch and a half of what I assume is dead yeast on the botom of the carboy! yikes, could this have fermented in 12 hours while I was sleeping?

My plan was to ferment at room temp until bubbles slow, then lager at 50 degrees for two weeks. Now i'm not sure what to do.

BTW, OG 30 and has not changed Further confounding me, and wort still tastes sweet

Any idea on what could have happened?

Let it sit a few days and start taking readings, time will tell but 12hr is very unlikely to be "done"

thanks, maybe I'm just nervous, with first liquid yeast. I will let 'er sit and hope for the best. Wjould it be best to keep at room temp, for now, or place in 50 degree chamber right away? I can't seem to find a post with a time line ...

thanks, maybe I'm just nervous, with first liquid yeast. I will let 'er sit and hope for the best. Wjould it be best to keep at room temp, for now, or place in 50 degree chamber right away? I can't seem to find a post with a time line ...

There isn't any reason to ferment a lager at room temperature (20 degrees too high!) unless you grossly underpitched the yeast. The instructions tell you to do that, only to make up for not having enough yeast to begin with. I'd check the SG (to see if fermentation has started/finished), and then put the beer at the correct temperature.

Back