Sparge water temp off. Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volvodude

Reaction score
I kind of pulled a bone headed move and would like some opinions. I heated my strike water to like 168 as opposed to something closer to 178. Actually only had 1 beer at that point, so I know that wasn't the probleem. After adding to the mash to sparge, I took the temp and it was only 158. Any potential problems from this? All my vital numbers were OK, so I'm thinking not, but a little reassurance would ease my mind.

Yes, you will have a less fermentable wort and the final FG will be higher for a lower ABV. Depending on the style, it won't make a big difference.

I f you mash for 90 minutes, it would help increase the fermentables.

Yes, you will have a less fermentable wort and the final FG will be higher for a lower ABV. Depending on the style, it won't make a big difference.

I f you mash for 90 minutes, it would help increase the fermentables.
I think you misread him, or misspoke.

His sparge water wasn't hot enough, so his sparge didn't hit mashout temps. This has the potential to INCREASE fermentables, since you don't denature the enzymes, and they can continue reducing sugar chains during the sparge and while waiting for the boil, right?

is there any downside to mashing for 90 minutes?
About 30 minutes :p . In reality, other than the chance of increased fermentables, (which may or may not be what you want), not that I know of.

Your grain bed will be thicker, your sparge will be slower and you might leave some sugars behind.

That being said, I sometimes run tap water through the grain bed in a "sparge after the last sparge" to get up to proper pre-boil level in my keggle. I might pick up some tannins, but I might pick up some sugars and flavor too. It's a trade off.

No harm done.

Sparge temp is not that critical. Hell, according to some you can even sparge with cold water and only sacrifice a few efficiency points.

Back