Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quyzi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing an IPA this weekend and given what occurred (and the noob worrying) from my last batch taking ages to start fermenting, I thought it might be a good idea to make a starter this time. I'm going to be brewing the Brewers Best Australian IPA. I've been reading into starters and it's been said to use 1/2 cup DME and 2 cups of water and boil it for 10 minutes, then pitch the yeast and let it sit until you need it.

Is it a bad idea for me to take 1/2 cup of the DME from the kit and use it for the starter, or should I go to my LHBS and get some DME to use specifically for it? Also, I watched a video of someone making a starter and they specifically said to not use a bubbler on it, just keep some aluminum foil over it. This doesn't seem like the best idea?

Thank you!

I'm going to be brewing an IPA this weekend and given what occurred (and the noob worrying) from my last batch taking ages to start fermenting, I thought it might be a good idea to make a starter this time. I'm going to be brewing the Brewers Best Australian IPA. I've been reading into starters and it's been said to use 1/2 cup DME and 2 cups of water and boil it for 10 minutes, then pitch the yeast and let it sit until you need it.

Is it a bad idea for me to take 1/2 cup of the DME from the kit and use it for the starter, or should I go to my LHBS and get some DME to use specifically for it? Also, I watched a video of someone making a starter and they specifically said to not use a bubbler on it, just keep some aluminum foil over it. This doesn't seem like the best idea?

Thank you!

Always make a starter with liquid yeast, you'll be happier. Be sure to cool the starter before you pitch!

I would personally buy extra DME for the starter (and keep it around for future batches), but in a pinch, I guess you could use it from your kit.

The video was right - no need to fool with an airlock. Sanitized aluminum foil is fine (it's all I ever use). Of course, I do my starters in empty sweet tea juge, so the airlock wouldn't fit, anyway. :)

If by "sachet" they mean dry yeast, you don't need a starter, just re-hydrate.

Ingredients

FERMENTABLES
3.3 lb. Light LME
2.5 lb. Amber DME
SPECIALTY GRAINS
1 lb. Caramel 30L
8 oz. Munich 10L
8 oz. Carapils®

HOPS
1 oz. Cascade Bittering
3 oz. Galaxy
1 oz. Flavoring
2 oz. Aroma

YEAST
1 Sachet

I use dry yeast exclusively now for a few reasons. For one I live in the south and have no LHBS so I order everything online, the liquid yeast doesn't do well in a UPS truck when it's 115 outside, I learned the hard way. Dry yeast is a bit cheaper and stores well.

What I do, is a few hours before I get ready to pitch the yeast I boil about a 1/4 cup of DME in 2 cups of water, let it cool then pitch the yeast into it. This helps rehydrate the yeast and after an hour or 2 there is even a little fermentation activity. I put this mixture into a sanitized pickle jar or whatever I find. No airlock needed but I leave the lid on loose or cover with foil.

I know you don't need a starter with dry yeast, but if it won't hurt anything or it could help out, why not?

If the recipe is dry yeast, don't bother. Dry yeast packs come with WAY more yeast than liquid vials/smack packs contain.

The point of a starter is to boost your liquid yeast cell count, which just isn't necessary with dry.

I use dry yeast exclusively now . . . What I do, is a few hours before I get ready to pitch the yeast I boil about a 1/4 cup of DME in 2 cups of water, let it cool then pitch the yeast into it. This helps rehydrate the yeast . . .
I suggest you research dry yeast rehydration, how it's done, how it works and why it works.

Here's a start.

Back