Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkultra69

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster, long time drinker:) This is going to be my first attempt at a Belgian tripel, as well as the first recipe I have concocted all on my own. I was hoping that some of you that have had a bit more experience could glance over it and see if there was anything glaringly wrong with it.

Type: Partial Mash
Recipe: Drievoudig Bier
Style: Belgian Tripel
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Brewer: Kevin
Boil Size: 4.09 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 42.31 %
4.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 36.54 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %

1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.8 IBU
0.50 oz Brewer's Gold [4.60 %] (20 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
0.75 oz Sterling [5.90 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.60 %] (10 min) Hops 1.4 IBU

1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.50 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 11.54 %

1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) [Starter 1000 ml]

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.086 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.84 %
Bitterness: 30.9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 5.5 SRM Color: Color

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 8.00 qt of water at 165.3 F 153.0 F

That a good looking recipe, but it is a sweet tripel. If that is what you want, go for it. If not, add some more bittering hops. It looks like you'll have some good, complex hop flavor.

You have some wiggle room with your color, so you might want to add a touch of CaraVienne for malt complexity, but that won't help you on the sweetness front. The aromatic malt probably gives you what you need, and I'm just thinking out lous, anyhow.

Tasty beer! If it truly comes in at only 43 calories per pint, you might just be a millionaire.

TL

TexLaw said:
That a good looking recipe, but it is a sweet tripel.
I was thinking the same thing. You could always take the sugar up a bit (I've seen as high as 15% in some recipes) and drop out some of the extract. Mashing your pilsner low, 147F-150F, will make its contribution more fermentable. Good choice on the yeast. It provided exactly the right flavors I was looking for in my tripel and gave me great attenuation (82%!).

Thanks for the input.:D Think your both right about the sweetness. I think Ill increase the IBU's to 35-36, mash a bit lower, and swap out 1/4 lb extract for a 1/4 ld sugar. Picking up the grain tomorrow, and really hoping the yeast shows up in the mail so I can get my starter going. If all gos well, Ill be brewing on Monday.

Back