Chocolate coconut stout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSun

Reaction score
Going for my first stout after a string of 8 ales! I've been looking to make this recipe since I started brewing. Here's what it's going to look like:

7lbs - 2-row base malt
3lbs- flaked oats
2lbs- English chocolate malt
1lb- English black malt
1lb- Nocturnal grain blend from northernbrewers.com

1oz- Fuggle aroma hops (15 mins)
1oz- UK first gold bittering hops (60 mins)

Safale S-04 yeast (dry)

5oz priming sugar for bottling

Also adding:
4oz - cocoa nibs to secondary for 7 days
1 bar of bakers chocolate adding to boil
10oz toasted coconut shavings to secondary for 7 days.
1 Whirlfloc tablet last 15 mins of boil

Bottled for two weeks and sampled it for the first time...it was delicious! I changed parts of the recipe:

1) I did not add cocoa nibs in the secondary.
2) I added 1oz of coconut extract before bottling.
3) also added 1/8 of almond extract before bottling.
4) unfortunately I did not taste any coconut from toasting the 20oz of flakes and adding to the secondary.

Overall the beer is delicious!! If I had a better efficiency I could see how it would enhance the flavors even more!

My porter is very similar if you would like me to post? I am using 1 lb. toasted coconut and 8 oz. chocolate nibs in 2ndary.

I do a similar beer that comes out as more of a brown ale (and it's much more hopped).

If your coconut is the shredded sweetened stuff from a normal store, try unprocessed, unsweetened coconut flakes from a bulk or health food store. It made a world of difference. Look at the nutrition facts on the label, and the shredded stuff has a ton of fat removed, which also probably pulls out a lot of soluble flavor as well, at least I've had a much more palatable coconut flavor and a good aroma from using the unsweetened stuff.

I normally use 1lb in secondary, but due to requests I will be doubling or tripling it in the batch I make next week.

How did the almond extract go over? I've also thought about adding that, but I worried it would overpower the other flavors.

plankbr said:
My porter is very similar if you would like me to post? I am using 1 lb. toasted coconut and 8 oz. chocolate nibs in 2ndary.

By all means post the recipe I'd love to check it out and maybe improve on my recipe with ideas from yours!!

opqdan said:
I do a similar beer that comes out as more of a brown ale (and it's much more hopped).

If your coconut is the shredded sweetened stuff from a normal store, try unprocessed, unsweetened coconut flakes from a bulk or health food store. It made a world of difference. Look at the nutrition facts on the label, and the shredded stuff has a ton of fat removed, which also probably pulls out a lot of soluble flavor as well, at least I've had a much more palatable coconut flavor and a good aroma from using the unsweetened stuff.

I normally use 1lb in secondary, but due to requests I will be doubling or tripling it in the batch I make next week.

How did the almond extract go over? I've also thought about adding that, but I worried it would overpower the other flavors.

I did get the unsweetened coco flakes from a whole foods store. Maybe I didn't toast fully through or maybe I added to much. When I added to the secondary it was just floating on top for the remaining days after I poured the wort on it. But again I won't rule out not sampling a big enough sip in order to determine if the coconut was present.

The coconut extract did work really well for giving that extra flavor or coconut.

I did not use an exact measurement for the almond extract. It came in a 1oz bottle and I dropped just a small amount in to hopefully balance the coconut flavor, which I believe it did very well!! Ill post a picture of it later tonight hopefully if I don't forget.

Because of the chocolate bar the beer does not have any sign of a foam head on retention. That's the only bad sad I've noticed..that and some coconut flakes made it through my filtering system l!!

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Chocolate Coconut Porter

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Robust Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.25 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.047
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 5.46%
IBU (tinseth): 26.85
SRM (morey): 31.36

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (78.4%)
1 lb - United Kingdom - Brown (7.8%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (7.8%)
12 oz - American - Chocolate (5.9%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 25.18
0.5 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 1.67

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 lb - Coconut, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
8 oz - Cocoa Nibs, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
0.5 oz - Vanilla Extract, Type: Flavor, Use: Bottling

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 63 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
152* mash 1 hour
Boil: 60 min.
Toast 1 lb unsweetened coconut @ 325* for 20-25 mins.
Add coconut and cocoa nibs to secondary 1 week.
1/2 oz. vanilla extract @ bottling.

There she is..no head at all :-(

image-1110620892.jpg

Back