Question for all-grain brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McAle

Reaction score
When using converted coolers as mash tuns, which type seems to work better for you. Round Igloo type coolers with false bottoms seem like they would drain nicely, but the rectangle style seems like it would be easier to stir the mash. Does one have any advantage over the other or is it just a matter of personal preference?

I used a round 10 gallon orange cooler with a false bottom for about 1 year, worked fine.

eventually the plastic interior warped and split - probably 30-40 batches total before that happened.

It is really just personal preference if you are batch sparging. If you want to fly sparge, then a taller cooler will give a deeper grain bed.

I use a red 10 gallon with a copper manifold and it works great, only loses 1 degree per hour even in the winter and its red!

billl said:
It is really just personal preference if you are batch sparging. If you want to fly sparge, then a taller cooler will give a deeper grain bed.

Agree. A round cooler with a false bottom seems to work well for fly sparging. A big rectangular one works well for batch sparging.

i've used a 58 qt rectangular with batch sparging for many years, and it works great. run about 78% efficiency along with my jsp mill, so it's all good

Put me down for round cooler, fly sparge also. My only problem is that there is a limit to size. I would like to bump up to 10 gal batches, and a 10 gal mash tun will not cut it. I have not seen any that are bigger and round.

Put me down for round cooler, fly sparge also. My only problem is that there is a limit to size. I would like to bump up to 10 gal batches, and a 10 gal mash tun will not cut it. I have not seen any that are bigger and round.

think this is the biggest disadvantage of the round coolers

square ones can get up to 50 gallons in size.

I use a 48qt rectangle Colman with a PVC manifold. I also batch sparge using a rain style sparge arm mounted in the lid of the cooler. While I love my system I have to pay VERY CLOSE attention to my rate of flow in and out while sparging to avoid compacting the grain.

image-3921035399.jpg

coosabrew said:
Anyone know of a bigger round cooler?

Converted keg, that's what I use with a flat false bottom, not a lot of dead space below the bottom. I fly sparge and have had 45lbs of grain for 10+ gallon batches with no problem. I cover it with 2 bath towels and a comforter and only loose a degree or 2 during a 1hr mash.

Back