Austin Homebrew Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke_d

Reaction score
So earlier I brewed the gluten free pale ale kit from Northern Brewer. It's a simple recipe with the fermentables being 6 pounds of white sorghum syrup, 3 pounds added at the beginning of the boil and 3 pounds added at the end of the boil. Hop bill is 1 oz of Northern Brewer at 60 mins, 1 oz of Cluster at 15 mins, and 1 oz of Cascade at 5 mins. In the carboy with Nottingham and going to check up on it tomorrow to see if it's started yet.

So has anyone brewed this before? If so, were to satisfied with it? Please let me know!!

I brewed this as my 1st GF beer. I split the sorghum in half and added the 2nd half at the end of boil. The beer finished very cloudy, not sure why. I left it 2weeks in primary and 1week in 2ndary. its been in the keg for about 4 weeks now. The taste is very hoppy and not balanced with sweetness from the sorghum. Taste is also grapefruity and bitter, not in a good way, and I love hoppy IPAs. This is supposed to be a pale ale but has too much hops in my opinion. Seems like most 5 gal kits average 7lbs of sorghum. It's possible that the additional 1 pound of sorghum would have helped.

I've since brewed my 2nd GF beer with 7 lbs sorghum and 1 lb dark candy sugar and about 1 oz less hops, a dark ale kit from brewers outpost, I think. Its only been in the keg for a week so not carbonated yet. This beer seems more balanced, much better than the pale ale for sure. This beer finished crystal clear. Both beers have zero body. I see a trend in the threads of adding maltodextrin to GF beers which should help this and add some unfermentable sugars. So I will try this in my next beer.

IMO the pale ale is a pretty bad beer. Every commercial GF beer i have tried has been better so its a major disappointment. It's drinkable, right up there with Red bridge but worse :). Sorry for what may seem a very negative reply but that's what my experience was with this kit.

Good luck with yours!

Brewed this 2 months ago for a friend. With some changes, added 1 lb. brown rice syrup, & 12 oz. honey. Turned out great, the additions balanced it out. I'd brew it again, and my friend is a fan too. Going to try a GF IPA for him next.

Latest posts

Back