size of secondary fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tschmitt

Reaction score
I have a three gallon batch in a five gallon primary which I think was fine as it fermented and had a nice kreausen (sp?) on it and I am sure was filled with carbon dioxide.

After 4 days the fermentation appears done and I want to rack to a secondary and dry hop. Problem, I do not have 3 gallon container and I am worried about oxidation.

Option 1: Rack to a one gallon and a two gallon containers

Option 2: Rack to my bottling bucket (6 gallon), clean 5 gallon carboy, then re-rack to 5 gallon carboy

Option 3: Rack to 6 gallon bottling bucket and leave it til bottling time in about another week.

I will be dry hopping. Is one of these better to avoid oxidation?

I wouldn't worry too much if it is only for another week. If you were going to leave it for an extended period you'd want as little head space as possible. Tho' you really don't even have to move it - I dry hop in the primary. But it is completely a matter of personal choice.

Cheers!

Option 4: Leave it in the primary for at least 1 more week, and preferably 2 - 3 more weeks.
Then, I'd go for your option 1 for the dry hopping to avoid oxidation.
Lots of people dry hop in the primary, but I won't recommend that, not because it's wrong, but because I've never tried it.

-a.

I dry hop in my primary, it works good too. Just don't be frightened if your airlock starts bubbling again few a few days to a week.

Yooper with your option 4, when I add hops later should I push them down into the wort all the way? Stir them in?

Yooper with your option 4, when I add hops later should I push them down into the wort all the way? Stir them in?

No definitely no stirring! gently put them in. Through osmosis, the beer permeates the hops. Some people bag them, but I do not.

You want to add the dryhops after yeast activity ends, and the beer is pretty clear. (Some sources say yeast in suspension can "cling" to the hops oils and pull them out when the yeast drop out but I'm not sure I totally agree with that, although it makes sense). Anyway, once the beer is clear, drop the hops in. Wait 5-7 days, and then rack to the bottling bucket.

Back