Another accidental sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymi86

Reaction score
So I was brewing an APA last Wed. Right when I was going start my sparge I lost power to my kettle (electric). Id been reading a lot about Berliner Weisse so I decided what the hell...I pulled a thin decoction and boiled it with 0.25 oz of the oldest hops in my freezer. I sparged from my mlt, thru my chiller, and into my carboy. I knocked out at 95 because I wants to give the lacto a decent head start. 12 hrs later it was fermenting and 24 hrs later it was blowing off. I then chilled, aerated, and pitched yeast. It took a day or two but the yeast took off and is now starting to wind down. It's smelled pretty strongly of sour milk the whole time, but nothing that smells too terrible.

Sooooo how long do you guys think I should leave this in primary? After it stops and the krausen has dropped I'll take a gravity reading an see where I'm at. Not really sure how to proceed with this.

It's all about specific gravity. Did you have a target final gravity - What was the original gravirty?

If you're using a carbouy you can let it sit for a long time.

What yeast did you use?

I was shooting for 1.056 OG and ended up closet to 1.062. I was hoping for around 1.010 final gravity, but not see where it would have ended up. This is the first time brewin this beer on this system.

I guess what I'm concerned with is how far will lacto go? Once I reach stable terminal gravity and fermentation has slowed way down will it slowly chew away a few more points for the next few months like Brett will?

I don't see just lacto doing much after the yeast. Lacto tends to hate everyting, hops, low pH, and alcohol. At almost 7% and a low pH I think your lacto will be done. Pedio is the real workhorse of the lactic producers.

Take a sample to check gravity and taste. If it's not low enough consider pitching some brett. I've been drinking my BW with a touch a brett for a few weeks and it's one of the best beers I've ever had.

Back