Confused about my gravity - help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
Hey guys, last weekend I did my first brew. It was a Big River Brown Ale. Unfortunately, Midwest did not supply me with an OG.

I started off and boiled 2.5 gallons of water and put it in the primary. Then I boiled 2.5 gallons of wort and combined them.

Apparent Original Gravity

The sticky thermometer on the side said 80 F. I assume it's around 80 degrees. So I measured the density and got : 1.054 or 7%. I used the temperature/density conversion chart and got around 1.057 as the OG. There could be a deviation either way, because I didn't know the EXACT temperature, and also not having a full boil may have effected this.

Moving on, today I transfered to my secondary. The temperature was 71 F. I got a reading of 1.026, and after converting with the temperature, I got 1.027. Or 3.5 %.

I'm no brewing expert, but don't these readings seem a bit high? I wish Midwest would have supplies me a OG!! If these numbers ARE correct, the Alcohol content should be 3.5%, correct?

I'm so confused! Tell me what you guys think. I had a taste sample to day, and to be honest, it tasted very good for flat beer that's only been developing one week. Please help me and tell me if you think these readings are close, and if maybe something could be wrong. Thanks!

Based on those readings, your Alcohol by volume would be 4%. It may not be done yeat, so I would not worry yet. Give it another week or so and take another reading.

My Midwest kit had the expected OG on the instruction sheet. It was up in the corner and went unnoticed by me until after I finished the brew. Check you instructions you may have the information you want.
Based on my very limited experience your FG sounds high. My stout kit with 8oz of malto-dextrin was only 1.020 FG. Ofcourse it also depends on your yeast. The stout used Danstar Nottingham which is fairly attenutive.

I just looked at your link. The product data sheet on that link lists the expected OG as 1.044-1.048 and the FG as 1.010-1.012. So it does sound like your numbers are high. Double check your hydrometer by measuring pure water @60F to see if you get 1.000.

Craig

Back