Cornelius secondary regulator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeDogsNE

Good for what ales you
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a second regulator to my Cornelius primary regulator. I see Cornelius secondaries show up cheap in some places. The secondary regulators appear to have MFL connectors where the primary regulators have a tank connector. Is there a difference in construction between these regulators? Is there a reason why I could not use one of these with the standard Cornelius left-hand thread connectors to gang it with my other primary regulator? I don't want to waste $20 buying one if I can't use it, but would rather spend $20 than $50 for the second regulator. But....will it work?

secondary regs can have a MAXIMUM of 150 psi inlet pressure. so it needs to be run off the primary as any keg would be (primaries runs at 850 psi inlet for co2). set the primary to the higher pressure and the secondary to the lower. ex 30 on pri and 12 on sec. triple primaries is what i run so i can run any pressure on any reg.

Yes you cannot just run a secondary regulator inline with a primary. You need to run a gas line out of the bottom of your primary reg into the imput of your secondary reg. The primary will regulate the higher pressure from the co2 tank and allow you to reduce the pressure to a manageable level for the secondary regulator. How many kegs are you trying to independently control?

I'd buy new, if you have a leak combined with then having to rebuild one, your savings are gone. Yes I've done that already and have a semi dead one sitting in the garage collecting dust.

just turn the tank on, with all regs backed completely out, then off with the tank valve. check it in 12 hours. then another 12. and another 12... until the tank gauge reads zero. if you get less than 2-3 days, something is WRONG! then set one reg at a time to say 15 psi WITHOUT serving co2 to anything but disconnects and with tank off still. same 12 hour intervals. if less days than before and this gauge is zero, that is the problem reg.

Latest posts

Back