Left the iodophor in the fermentation bucket overnight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
Was going to start some cider...completely forgot about it. Now the bucket is stained and smell is a bit off, I'm going to use it today but I was wondering if any of you see any objection to that? Like, the smell may effect the cider/future beers I ferment in there? I figure it'll fade away in time anyways, as well as the color.

Was going to start some cider...completely forgot about it. Now the bucket is stained and smell is a bit off, I'm going to use it today but I was wondering if any of you see any objection to that? Like, the smell may effect the cider/future beers I ferment in there? I figure it'll fade away in time anyways, as well as the color.

You'll be fine. Most of my gear smells like iodophor at one time or another. It'll be okay.

If it truely bothers you, you can make a bleach/water solution and bleach the color out. Be sure to rinse it out really good afterwards, bleach is known for leaving a film. Rinse well!

For the smell, I've seen posted numerous times to fill the container with coffee grounds for 24 hours. Not sure if that truely works but it seems to be a popular solution.

Personally I don't worry about it. If it gets bad enough, I'll get a new bucket.

Brew on...

If it truely bothers you, you can make a bleach/water solution and bleach the color out. Be sure to rinse it out really good afterwards, bleach is known for leaving a film. Rinse well!

For the smell, I've seen posted numerous times to fill the container with coffee grounds for 24 hours. Not sure if that truely works but it seems to be a popular solution.

:eek:

Coffee grounds? Bleach?

I have left sanitizing solution made up with iodophor in my bottling bucket for days on end. Things will stain, it's just how it goes. IMHO, bleach and coffee grounds are far worse than iodophor.

Yeah bleach to remove the stain if it bothers him that much.... the coffee grounds is just a suggestion for odor. Personally I don't have that issue as I use star san and I don't care about the odors from past beers.

i would throw the bucket in the trash can. that iodophor smell can ruin your beer. it probably won't, but, would you rather spend another $15 on a new bucket or waste a $30 batch of beer as well as the weeks waiting for it to be done, only to have it taste like a bandaid.

i'd get a new bucket and some star san.

i would throw the bucket in the trash can. that iodophor smell can ruin your beer. it probably won't, but, would you rather spend another $15 on a new bucket or waste a $30 batch of beer as well as the weeks waiting for it to be done, only to have it taste like a bandaid.

i'd get a new bucket and some star san.

Nahh it will be alright. Geez when you milk cows you just dip everything in Iodophor and shake it a bit. Its still dripping with the stuff. A little smell aint gonna hurt nothing.

Back