YEAWLT: My horrible water....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pointyskull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yet Another Ward Lab Thread

Here's what I knew about my water before the test. Bad.
We use a softener, and recently installed an RO - though the water for the test was not from the RO tap because I wanted to see how the "regular" levels were.

I currently brew from bottled water, but was hoping to be able to use the tap if necessary. I suppose I need to submit an RO sample to Ward, too.

I have the Bru'n Water spreadsheet, but I'm still absorbing the documentation - so if any water experts care to dissect my results with a cursory review :mug:

pH 7.4
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 702
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 1.17
Cations / Anions, me/L 12.3 / 12.8

PPM
Sodium, Na 55
Potassium, K 91
Calcium, Ca 50
Magnesium, Mg 61
Total Hardness, CaCO3 379
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.2 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 71
Chloride, Cl 39
Carbonate, CO3 <1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 444
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 364
Total Phosphorus, P .41
Total Iron, Fe .04

I have a similar question about water. I do not have a current analysis, but remember an analysis shows that my water is extremely high in copper. I only drink bottled water as a result. I know that yeast, flavors and character of the beer are all affected adversely using bottled water. If I must use bottled water, does any one have suggestions? I have done several batches now successfully using a brand of water that uses "reverse osmosis"

Whew that is some hard water. Mine is actually quite similar especially as far as Alkalinity/Hardness.

But....not really a big deal since you have an RO filter, right?

awarediver- Reverse Osmosis is the the RO system he's talking

Whew that is some hard water. Mine is actually quite similar especially as far as Alkalinity/Hardness.

But....not really a big deal since you have an RO filter, right?

awarediver- Reverse Osmosis is the the RO system he's talking

We used to drink bottled water but we had an RO put in a few years ago. I think I will send an RO sample to Ward to compare. Meanwhile I guess I will continue to brew with bottled water....

If your RO system is working a test will only tell you that the water has low levels of everything. This you can determine for yourself with an inexpensive TDS tester. If it reads 25 or less you are good. That would imply rejection of greater than 95% for everything. The reason for recommending that you spend the money on the tester rather than the test is that you should use the tester periodically to monitor the condition of your RO system. It will eventually age and the membranes and filters will need to be replaced. If the filters are replaced fairly frequently the membrane should last a few years (or more depending on how often you use the system).

If your RO system is working a test will only tell you that the water has low levels of everything. This you can determine for yourself with an inexpensive TDS tester. If it reads 25 or less you are good. That would imply rejection of greater than 95% for everything.

Thanks for the info on the tester. Just found one on Amazon for $15 - http://tinyurl.com/cfz4mbl - that had some decent reviews. If there's a recommended model you can think of that would be great to know.

We do change the filter on our RO, btw....

Back