Hair in wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-rad

Reaction score
Degassing my first island mist kit and see a hair floating in the carboy... Boooooooooooo.. Im definetly not going to dump it but... sure failure??
:(

probably not....plus with wine you have more of a safty zone buffer because its higher alcohol making it much harder for things to grow. Your almost deffinitly fine

My dog would win a shedding contest if there was one and I have had a few hairs here and there with no adverse effects. I've even named my winery dog hair cellars with his picture on the labels. I've always felt it's better to drink a wine with a hair of a dog that you know then potentially drinking one from the store with a hair from someone you don't know, lol Dont sweat it, I'm sure the sulfites will take care of it if it is a problem, just fish it out before bottling unless you want to give it as a surprise to family or friends, Ken

Yeah. I've had moments when I considered just giving my dog a Starsan bath since it's impossible to keep his hair from getting everyfrigginwhere. So far I've resisted the temptation...

Degassing my first island mist kit and see a hair floating in the carboy... Boooooooooooo.. Im definetly not going to dump it but... sure failure??
:(

LOL! I understand your fears but you'll be fine! A hair in a commercial product would be a disaster but most of us make our beverages of choice in far from sanitary conditions that would never pass a health inspection. This is the way wine, mead, and beer has been made for centuries.

Latest posts

Back