Ahhhh, I love the smell of fresh wort in the morning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Well, just finished steeping my grains and adding the powdered and liquid malts now the wort is on the stove getting its boil on. The bittering hops gave it a bit of a sharper smell, but I LOVE THE SMELL OF MY WORT IN THE KITCHEN!!!

Even though my daughter is complaining about the smell, I think it has a nice earthy aroma to it, very malty - almost like a bag of horse feed pellets.

Between gawking at my freshly made batch of Apfelwine burping the airlock and stirring my pot of wort, I opened the pot to find a nice rigorous boil and lots of 'wort poop' on the sides of the kettle. Im guessing that these are the bittering hops that are sticking to the sides of the kettle as it boils and foams. (Just scrape, stir and re-cover)

Well, only 30 more minutes of boiling til it goes into the primary! This is neat! (Thus far much more fulfilling than I had anticipated!) I cant wait to get my lips on this tasty brew! Ahhhh, twill be worth the wait!
-Me

Do not boil with the lid on!
You want certain chemicals to escape, you can look up DMS (another boggyman? for homebrewers). But why chance it.
But yes, I also love the smell of boiling wort, if only because I know what it will turn into.

That's because it is hot cereal. Have a nice bowl of "cream of wheat" or "oatmeal" while brewing in the AM. :)

Do not boil with the lid on!
You want certain chemicals to escape, you can look up DMS (another boggyman? for homebrewers). But why chance it.
But yes, I also love the smell of boiling wort, if only because I know what it will turn into.

Crap... Well, the pot mostly boiled with the lid cracked - hopefully the DMS monster wont be paying me a visit for my first brew. The yeast has been pitched and the airlock and top went on. Time to wait and hope for the best!

Ahhh, and well I guess I have been trumped by the war department now. She was really cool with me brewing this batch, but next time its going to have to be an outdoor cooking (as the smell that permeated throughout the house appearently makes her sick to her stomach)

Now the waiting game begins and I am praying that this batch turns out okay. :)
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Damn it, at least with fungus its pretty close to obvious when you have the greenie meanies and have to scrap the batch and start over. (Or cobweb and can spray with H2O2) But I digress... :ban:
-Me

http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/REchilling.asp
A link regarding DMS (Dimethyl Sulphide)

Cool to see you brewing your first batch!! I started on the stove like you, but after hearing the SWMBO and my son complain endlessly about the smell, SWMBO said to just go and buy the Propane cooker and 10 Gallon Pot. Eventually, you'll win!

The SWMBO here didnt complain about the smell on my first batch, she complained of the scorching on our stove >.<. Guess I need a propane cooker too.

Crap... Well, the pot mostly boiled with the lid cracked -

I'm sure your beer will be fine, but like I said why take the chance.

You could get real complicated and try to schedual soccer practice and chain at pallaties(SP?) class to do the brewing, but that is a real pain.

Otherwise, I'm sure a number of sales will be on for some decent turkey fryers so you can do it outside. That will be great until the dead of winter depending on where your at.

Who ever said homebrewing was easy, yea the yeast do all the real work, but it is a real pain to plan, and facilitate that operation to conclusion.

Welcome to the addiction, and enjoy the fruits of your labor, and don't forget the "billions and billions" of yeast workers that actually did the work.

Funny - I love the smell and so do my kids. My youngest says it smells like the home brew shop :) My wife however, says it smells horrible to her. Funny how that smell is so different for everyone.

My wife LOVES the smell - daughter HATES it.

The SWMBO here didnt complain about the smell on my first batch, she complained of the scorching on our stove

LOL - one of the things you will learn are how not to scorch the stove, the best way to pour 3 gallons into a carboy and hundreds of other little things. The process is easy - the logistics need to be figured out for each person.

For instance - I boil two 3 gallon pots on the stove at once (turkey frying in my future when the red jolly fat man comes) and noticed I was getting a LOT of dripping from the range hood. So I need to cover the pots half way with a small towel to absorb the drips.

Lots of litle things to learn. LOL

First batch was in the house and SWMBO said, "Take the stinking mess outside next time!"

Second batch done on the side burner of the grill. That SUCKED!

Third batch was on turkey fryer with 30qt pot.

19th batch went into primary yesterday and I'm looking for a 15 Gal boil kettle.

Welcome to the addiction, be ready to spend some money on a very rewarding and addicting obsess.. I mean hobby.

My wife LOVES the smell - daughter HATES it.

LOL - one of the things you will learn are how not to scorch the stove, the best way to pour 3 gallons into a carboy and hundreds of other little things. The process is easy - the logistics need to be figured out for each person.

For instance - I boil two 3 gallon pots on the stove at once (turkey frying in my future when the red jolly fat man comes) and noticed I was getting a LOT of dripping from the range hood. So I need to cover the pots half way with a small towel to absorb the drips.

Lots of litle things to learn. LOL

Our stove is a piece of crap to say the least. Only one element can actually get anything to boil. I just need to buy one of those propane things...

Back