My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 3 on each side stacked on top of each other but get enough agitation with the 1 inch bar that I don't need the 2. Took me a little bit to figure out the magnet placement but got it sorted out.

I'm gonna bump here, this Thread has almost 100,000 views!

PROST! Anthony, proves you have helped alot of us!

This thing has gone viral... Thanks for all your kind words! Honestly, this is more of a community thread at this point. I'd like to think that I just pushed the snowball down the hill.

Just finished mine using the magnets from Ace Hardware previously listed in this post. 6 of them were less than $5. Used a linksys 12V power supply from an old wireless router. 1 inch bar works great 2 gets thrown. ...[/IMG]

How many magnets did you use on each side maybe double up for the two inch bar?

-= jason =-

I used 3 on each side stacked on top of each other but get enough agitation with the 1 inch bar that I don't need the 2. Took me a little bit to figure out the magnet placement but got it sorted out.

It's more about placement. For a two inch bar the magnets need to be further out from the center of the fan.

FWIW, when I built mine, I took the bar I wanted to use, and let the magnets cling to it, and placed them on the washer where the magnets stuck to the the best.

Schnitzengiggle said:
FWIW, when I built mine, I took the bar I wanted to use, and let the magnets cling to it, and placed them on the washer where the magnets stuck to the the best.

Great idea I'll do that with mine.

-= Jason =-

Picked up a 1" stir bar and 2L flask today and while it's not all assembled and buttoned up, it's pulling almost all the way down to the bar. It's going on full speed with a 12V power supply and isn't throwing the bar.

The potentiometer works really well that I can get it going full speed or slow it down to just a swirl on the surface. This has all been in water. I'd like to get it all closed up and glued and use it on Sunday. I have Friday off next week and I'd like to brew up a summer Belgian.

my LHBS has a 5000L flask for $26 I need to buy it ASAP because thats the cheapest I've seen those.

-=Jason=-

Flomaster said:
my LHBS has a 5000L flask for $26 I need to buy it ASAP because thats the cheapest I've seen those.

-=Jason=-

That's a huge flask...over 1000 gallons! That is a great price. I paid $20 for my 2L today, but nobody else has them, just 1L.

That's a huge flask...over 1000 gallons! That is a great price. I paid $20 for my 2L today, but nobody else has them, just 1L.
I don't think 5L is over 1000 gallons, but its a big ass flask non the less.

maybe a typo, but there was a 500x a 2000x and the BIG ASS GIGANTIC 5000x flask

the 5000 had a price of $26 maybe its a typo, but I need to buy it tomorrow for that price because it seems to good to be true.

mind you my LHBS just opened up and i might be their number one customer at the moment.

-=Jason=-

Flomaster said:
I don't think 5L is over 1000 gallons, but its a big ass flask non the less.

maybe a typo, but there was a 500x a 2000x and the BIG ASS GIGANTIC 5000x flask

the 5000 had a price of $26 maybe its a typo, but I need to buy it tomorrow for that price because it seems to good to be true.

mind you my LHBS just opened up and i might be their number one customer at the moment.

-=Jason=-

I think you meant 5000ml when you typed 5000L in the first post. I knew what you meant. I'm not doing 10 gallon batches yet and couldn't see a use for a 5L flask even if I could find one locally.

I think you meant 5000ml when you typed 5000L in the first post. I knew what you meant. I'm not doing 10 gallon batches yet and couldn't see a use for a 5L flask even if I could find one locally.

yeah that sounds about right but I do plan on bumping up to 10 gallon batches, any reason I can't use this monster flask for doing 5 gallon batches of beer?

-=Jason=-

..., any reason I can't use this monster flask for doing 5 gallon starters?

-=Jason=-

It's only a 5L flask, you will never get 5 gallons in it :cross:

I know, I know that's not what you meant. For a 5 gallon batch of ale you really don't need a 5L starter. For a 5 gallon batch of lager that might be appropriate. Doing a 1L starter in a 5L flask might give you some issues, or not. Then again, if your using a 5 month old yeast pack and need to build it up a 5L starter would be appropriate even for an ale.

Personally, If I needed a 1-2 L starter I'd use a 2L flask and if I needed bigger than that I'd use a 5L.

I figured a 2L should handle any starter I need for a 5 gallon batch. My LHBS said I don't need a starter at all for liquid yeast for anything 1.050 or below, that he makes them for 1.070 and higher.

I guess it all comes down to how deep you want to dig. My first batch of beer, I didn't aerate the wort, didn't use a starter for a liquid yeast, and didn't strain the hops or trub out when pouring into the primary - I didn't know any better. The beer was awesome, but could have been better. Now that I do those things and a few other tweaks, my beers have improved drastically.

Just got my up and running. I ended up having to use a 9V supply on my 12V fan. It was spinning way too fast even with the pot turned all the way down. Now I'm money (only water so far though). We'll see when it's time for a starter!

hlumbard said:
Just got my up and running. I ended up having to use a 9V supply on my 12V fan. It was spinning way too fast even with the pot turned all the way down. Now I'm money (only water so far though). We'll see when it's time for a starter!

Unless my power supply is broken, mine didn't work at all with a 9.4V, only a 12V. It wouldn't even get the LED to light up, which gets its juice from the same connections the fan is wired to.

Also, in 2L of water, when I can get mine to not throw the bar at full speed, it isn't pulling the vortext all the way down, all the time with a 1" bar.

It doesn't need to pull that much to be effective, right?

It will dip down and hit the stir bar occasionally.

image-727388096.jpg

Remember all, the vortex does not need to be pulled to the bottom, the goal is to keep the yeast suspended, and support co2/o2 transfer.

I have been thinking about getting a 5L flask, but I don't think the enclosure will support it. I'm looking at some other options for a larger enclosure for cheap money. I'm a big fan of the guy that used his old XBox...

I have been thinking about getting a 5L flask, but I don't think the enclosure will support it. I'm looking at some other options for a larger enclosure for cheap money. I'm a big fan of the guy that used his old XBox...

I'm planning my next build around an old DVD player, also considered an old retired directTV box. In both cases I'm contemplating hacking the power supply part of the system board that converts AC 115v to DC 12v (and other voltages) to drive the fan (assuming the PS isn't what died in the thing). The old DVD player in particular, the drive unit in it is actually a computer IDE drive so I know there is 12v available in there.

I may also just get a lab stir plate so I can have heat on it as well... I'm going to talk to the head of chemistry at my school to see if he'll sell me one when they replace theirs... If he gives me a good price I might buy them out and sell em on here...

I've been running mine with just water so far trying to figure out how much to crank the pot without throwing the bar. It seems it can go for 10-15 minutes or so at just about any speed and then get tossed. It does not do well with really low speeds and seems fine cranked all the way up, but like I said, it can randomly get thrown. I'm hoping the thicker viscosity of the wort will make it more stable.

I'm using three hard drive magnets stacked on top of each other. I've tried as centered as I can get it and right now, I have it off to the side so the vortex never stays intact to disrupt the stir bar. I'm noticing that pockets of air get pulled down regularly to the bar and then get smashed by the bar throwing lots of bubbles all over, which is probably the desired effect rather than just a smooth vortex swirling in the middle. It's a little noisier as the stir bar seems to be rattling around a bit, but the swirling also seems to keep the vortex from messing with it too much.

The only size the local shops had were 1". Should I try a bigger stir bar from somewhere online? How fast are you guys spinning the bar?

In my experience, thicker wort makes it less stable. Having the magnet centered is critical, as well as having a strong magnet, and getting the stirbar as close to it as possible.

Ok, I decided to build a stir plate station. I'm going to have 3 separate stirs on one box. Got the box built, the wiring sorted, but now comes the big quesiton. Power? I want to just have one plug to power three fans. Would one 12V power adapter work? Or should I go bigger?

Ok, I decided to build a stir plate station. I'm going to have 3 separate stirs on one box. Got the box built, the wiring sorted, but now comes the big quesiton. Power? I want to just have one plug to power three fans. Would one 12V power adapter work? Or should I go bigger?

Amperage is what you are asking about not voltage. A typical 80mm case fan will pull maybe 0.25 amps or less though I have seen some as high as 0.5 amps. Your typical used cell phone charger can probably push 0.5 amps, newer "smart" phones usually have better chargers due to higher power requirements, commonly 1 amp or so, but the newer iPhone/iPad chargers can crank out 2 amps (albeit at 5v not 12v). As long as the 12v adapter can supply as much as the sum total of the fans draw, plus any loss in your speed control circuit plus if your adding any fancy schmancy LED lighting add that as well, you will be OK.

Edit: An old (or new) laptop power brick would work easy. her is one with 5A @ 12v http://www.mini-box.com/60w-12v-5A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter

Edit2: here is a 12v 2A adapter: http://www.mini-box.com/24w-12v-2A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter?sc=8&category=980

Edit3 (final): Or you go full out and mount an open frame power supply in your enclosure (such as this http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/ps-25-12.shtml ) but you will also need to mount a AC socket or power cord on the outside of your enclosure.

You have lots of options.

Thanks camiller. That is what I needed to know.

go to your local, Good Will, Habitat , pawn shop and look for the box of discarded power supplies for cheap. I picked up a 12V and 18V from good will for 1.99 each.

-=Jason=-

go to your local, Good Will, Habitat , pawn shop and look for the box of discarded power supplies for cheap. I picked up a 12V and 18V from good will for 1.99 each.

-=Jason=-

If you can get one that has enough power for three fans sure, go for it.

Just went through a box in my attic. Nothing I have has the amperage I'll need. Looks like I'll order online.

edit: Fans say 12V .18A I'm thinking I need at least 6A with the resistance of the speed control. Does that sound right?

If you can get a printer power adapter it would be about right. I have 1 of them I believe it is 35 volts.

Just went through a box in my attic. Nothing I have has the amperage I'll need. Looks like I'll order online.

edit: Fans say 12V .18A I'm thinking I need at least 6A with the resistance of the speed control. Does that sound right?

6A is I think way more than you need. Are you using just a potentiometer for speed control or a LM317 based voltage regulator? Look at it this way, if most people are running one fan just fine with 500mA, 1.5A should be fine for three fans.

Just using a potentiometer for speed control. Fans are old Rosewill 80mm case fans with blue LEDs taken out of my old computer case. I'll still need to pick something up, none of the power supplies I had gave more than 800mA. Did find a old laptop charger that may work. 3.6A I think. But it is huge and bulky and probably overkill for what you think I'll need.

jdoiv said:
Just using a potentiometer for speed control. Fans are old Rosewill 80mm case fans with blue LEDs taken out of my old computer case. I'll still need to pick something up, none of the power supplies I had gave more than 800mA. Did find a old laptop charger that may work. 3.6A I think. But it is huge and bulky and probably overkill for what you think I'll need.

You probably only need about .5 A. I pushed a 12 V fan with 15 V and it still didn't draw the .18 A for which it was rated. Also, make sure you wire the fans in parallel.

Just did my first starter using my frankenstir plate. I haven't finished the enclosure. Here's my starter - Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale in a 1.1L starter after 20 hours.

IMG_5267.jpg

Check out that krausen! It's going into some Caribou Slobber.

William

jtkratzer said:
15 hours on the plate with about a liter of water, 100 grams of DME, and 55 ml of WLP400 yeast slurry.

I meant to post the picture from one hour later, I guess I forgot. Here it is. Also found out those 1/2 gallon jugs work on this as well.

image-1366241068.jpg

Good looking starters, I never get krausen like that.

I couldn't help but think of the line "Feed me Seymour!" when I saw that change in an hour. I just swirled the starter to pull the yeast back down into the liquid before putting it in the fridge so they didn't dry out and stick to the sides of the flask.

Back