Favorite canned beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choosybeggar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, with camping season upon us, I'm soliciting recommendations for microbrew style beers in cans to take on the trail. What's your fave aluminum clad hoppy wonder brew?

The wonderful thing is more and more breweries are starting to can.

Around here, Surly beer is in cans and is delicious

Boulevard is starting to can too.

I see you're in Washington state so I have to suggest Bale Breaker for good, hoppy canned beers. Also Fort George Brewing out of Astoria, Oregon makes some tasty brews and they can their entire lineup.

All of the above. Plus Firestone somewhat recently started canning. Pivo Pils would be a nice camping beer, or Easy Jack. Sierra Nevada is always a safe bet, too.

All of the above. Plus Firestone somewhat recently started canning. Pivo Pils would be a nice camping beer, or Easy Jack. Sierra Nevada is always a safe bet, too.

Is Pivo Pils available in cans? That would be fantastico.

Lots of Pivo Pils + pee on campfire = unbelievably nasty smell. True story!

Modern Times brewery has a lot of good stuff in cans. Is that available in WA state?

Is Pivo Pils available in cans? That would be fantastico.

Yes it is. At least here in Chicagoland. I know for certain that they can Union Jack, Easy Jack and Pivo Pils. Not sure which states get distro of their cans, though I would think WA would get them if IL does

Coors light.. Wait what.. I mean Ballast Point Sculpin, I believe they started canning the Grapefruit Sculpin.

Dale's, Gubna, Boulevard's session IPA, Pre Game by Unknown, Even Keel from Ballast, Hop Drop and Roll from NODA, Chimera....I could go on. There are so many great beers in cans now.

Fremont Summer Ales good, Caldera Pale ale, Descender Ipa are a couple good ones and should be somewhat easy to find.

Modern Times brewery has a lot of good stuff in cans. Is that available in WA state?

I wish we could get Modern Times in WA. I went to San Diego about a month ago and brought some home with me. That stuff is delicious.

Coors light.. Wait what.. I mean Ballast Point Sculpin, I believe they started canning the Grapefruit Sculpin.

Grapefruit Sculpin is indeed in cans. OP, you can find canned Grapefruit Sculpin at Chuck's Hop Shop on 85th in Greenwood.

21st Amendment beers are my favorite summer beers so far... with this being my favorite:

21a-DTE-can-mockup-no-shadow-146x278.png

Pivo Pills, any version of the Dale's ale from Oskar Blues - Our local Carton Brewing's 077XX DIPA is amazing. Six Point's Resin will roto-till your taste buds off with hoppiness if that is what you are into... But Pivo pils is da bomb on a hot day in the sun.

I'm getting to the point that I only buy beer in cans now and I love that the selection is improving. Bottles are just too much hassle to deal with. I wish dogfishhead would get into canning for some of there specialty beers.

Dale's is my all time favorite canned beer, followed by Bell's Two Hearted.

Some are already mentioned but all are awesome:

Carton 077xx
Heady + anything Alchemist
Hop Nosh
Jai Alai
Anti-Hero
Chimera
Surly anything
Newburyport Green Head IPA
Night Shift Morph...each and every release!
Six Point...almost everything

I don't think they send their beer to WA but 4 Hands has been canning for a while now. Their Rye IPA is pretty darn good (Divided Sky I think it's called)

Its hard not to grab a can of something from Oskar Blues everytime I hit my local bottleshop. Despite a slightly higher price point for a 12oz can, Ten Fidy is worth every penny.

Come July, Pipeworks will have cans being distributed throughout Chicago. I'm pretty sure that will take over as my favorite canned beer. Just read that they're planning on distributing out to CO and NY too.

Back