Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptaht213

Reaction score
Hi all, I activated my Wyeast packet (first I've used) about an hour and a half ago. I didn't realize it recommends three hours to swell. I've got my wort in the sanitized bucket. If I put yeast in now, will I end up regretting it? What's my best option? Go to bet and put yeast in in the morning or put it in now before it swells?

Go ahead and pitch it. Letting it sit for three hours ensures it gets up to room temp and starts to "wake up" the yeasties. Pitch away you'll be fine.

Good deal! Thanks for the advice :) At least my uncertainty gave the wort a chance to cool down. I'll aerate it once more before I pour in the yeast pack just to be safe.

Go ahead and pitch it. Letting it sit for three hours ensures it gets up to room temp and starts to "wake up" the yeasties. Pitch away you'll be fine.

It's about 12 hours after I pitched the yeast and no action in the airlock. Should I be concerned?

Nope, you're fine. Next time just activate the yeast the day before you brew, and preferable make a starter.

Cheers!
-Mike

Back