Stainless vs aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roopert

Reaction score
I found a 5 gallon aluminum pot at my inlaws. They said I could definitely use it if I wanted to my question is should I use in aluminum pot which is free or go out and buy a stainless steel pot? I am a new Brewer and just spent a decent amount of cash on supplies would the aluminum pot work at least temporarily?

The only thing to be aware of: if the aluminum pot has not been used yet, make sure to boil water in it prior to brewing with it. This will build up a darker oxidation layer that is an important buffer. You want that oxidation layer in place; it prevents the aluminum from leaching into your brew. And, when cleaning your pot after brew day, DO NOT SCRUB IT! Gently wipe it clean, leaving that oxidation layer intact, and you'll be good to go!

Stainless vs. aluminum has been debated endlessly here, so if you search you can find the pros and cons of each, if that puts your mind at ease.

I actually use both - SS brew kettle, and aluminum HLT.

I say use what you've got, and save up for a bigger pot later when you decide you want to move to full boils or BIAB/AG.

Use it, you can do partial extract batches just fine in a 5g pot.

You should boil some water in it near the brim just for sanity, but in reality Aluminum oxidizes the instant it touches oxygen, so its not really doing a whole lot, your safe regardless.

Back