Selling an ATV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
So I have a really nice ATV for sale, kept great care of it and it has really low hours. I have placed it in the local paper, craigslist, and the paper shop. This has been posted for weeks with nothing more than 2 scam hits from craigslist. Any one have any tips on selling one? I sold one in the past and it was only listed for two days. It's a

2008 Suzuki z400 Special Edition 400cc
full skids
Motoworks SR4 exhaust
Professionally rejetted carb
adjustable clutch lever
race profile bars
lower gear for more torque on the trails
asking 3700 obo.

Anyone see a reason why this wouldn't sell?

Maybe try selling it online on an ATV forum? You might get more interest that way.

I've also heard that custom vehicles can be harder to sell. Personally if someone was messing the the gearing or did a lot of custom work I'd probably shy away from buying a vehicle. Not saying you didn't do a good job regearing but sometimes you never know. Sometimes previous owner fixes can be a little "creative"

I find that good pictures help tremendously. I frequently host pics and link to them in CL. Seems to help people who might be on the fence to at least inquire a bit more.

Season/time of year sometimes can have an effect. I don't own any quads, so I can't speak as a consumer, but I would think fall would draw the hunter crowd and spring summer would be the casual camper/explorer.

I won't bother opening any CL post without a pic.

Maybe its priced too high....possible that aftermarket parts aren't going to fetch the price premium you think it should.

Sorry if I sounded insulting in my first post. I didn't mean to. It's just what I've seen. I like old landcruisers and some guys put a lot of time and money into their trucks and they don't get what they ask for them.

Maybe it's not selling because of the economy?

My grandpa tried to sell his quad and trailer for over a year before he finally sold it. He posted fliers @ trap and skeet clubs; archery shops and gun shows. He put an ad in the paper and at the cafe in the town we go hunting in too. Very few seriously interested parties. A lot of jokers with lowball offers.

Why do you want to sell it? You put some money into it. I hate to see someone part out or sell their toys. If your gonna get a new one maybe see if the dealer will trade or sell it for you on consignment?

Powersports machines suck to sell, very finicky buyers. I'd do some heavy research and price it a couple hundred below what comparable machines are priced at. 3700 seems pretty strong to me for an 08. I had a very clean and modded 09 Kawasaki mx bike I paid 6700 for new, sold in June of 2011 for 2700 with asking price of 2950. These machines don't hold their value well at all.

I looked at some completed eBay listings and Z-400's aren't moving at $2k, much less almost $4k. The only one that sold in the past three months or so was an 05' looking to get $2700 -- and that one sold for $1500.

pheww... that's rough, this thing is like new. Low hours. I just don't have time to ride it. If i can't get atleast 3200, I'll keep it. I don't *need* the money but I'm getting married in May and it would be nice for the wedding or put towards other future items.

CoalCracker said:
pheww... that's rough, this thing is like new. Low hours. I just don't have time to ride it. If i can't get atleast 3200, I'll keep it. I don't *need* the money but I'm getting married in May and it would be nice for the wedding or put towards other future items.

My grandpa's quad was in really good shape too. It got ridden twice. He ended up selling it to my other grandpa for a fair price.

I'd hang onto it if I were you. Once the honeymoon phase wears off it's nice to get out of the house.

Back