No.. More... Hangovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No... I am just freakin' learning about this...

And that's kind of the funny part about it. A ton of people have never heard of it (hence my posting it) but then a small group of folks I've talked to have basically said what you did... "Huh? You mean you don't do it?? I've been doing that for years. Yeah, works like a charm."

I had no idea.

What's next, a thread by Cape saying "hey guys, have you heard about this new cut of meat called bacon?" :tank:

I used the b complex that comes in liquid form last night. 1 dropperful before the drinking and another dropperful 7 beers later before bed. No hangover at all this morning. :ban:

Can't believe I never tried this before.

Let me preface this account by saying I get god awful hangovers of I have any more than like 4 beers in a row.

There was a huge beer festival going on last night, and in past years I drink too much, then wake up the next day feeling terrible. I've never tried vitamin b, because when I'm drunk the first thing on my mind isn't going to a drug store (the first thing is usually Chinese food, then sleep). I discovered that my wife had a bottle of vitamin b complex stashed away, so I tried it.

Holy crap. I didn't feel 100%, but I was close to 85%!

Wow, after reading this thread, I feel fortunate. I think I've only had 2 hangovers ever.

99.99% of the time I wake up after 5-6hours of sleep and feel great.

Your not drinking enough... step your game up :mug:

1:10000 ratio is pretty damn good!

So I have to re-ask about the potency of the vitamins people are using. I almost got a bottle yesterday, but couldn't decide between the regular B-complex or the "high-potency" version. There's a significant difference between the two in just about everything. The regular has 100% RDA for the big compounds (niacin, folate, etc.) but the HP version has on the order of 3000-5000% RDA. Any input?

Just go big...your body will just pass anything it doesn't use.

True, but from an economics standpoint, that's not great advice. If all one needs is 100% of the RDA, and it's $5 for 100 of those, vs. $7 for 60 of the bigger ones, there's a choice to be made. :mug:

I have the B complex pills but I usually down water and several multi-vitamins. Your body flushes out a lot when you piss so much from drinking so I like to add back everything the body needs at once.

I should have tried this last night. Feeling like crap all day so far and now I am going to help my buddy chainsaw his palm trees because he has a cast on his arm and can't do it himself. 100F, a chainsaw, and a hangover don't mix.

I'm definitely trying the B Complex next weekend.

Went to a beer festival yesterday. Drank quite a bit with very little water. Took the cheapo b complex before and after drinking...hangover was minimized by quite a bit. I felt 75% this morning and fully recovered by now. Normally I would feel a hangover for a day plus. I'll keep using the b complex till I see otherwise.

Just wanted to chime in with my experience.

While not "going on a bender" so-to-speak, I have had 5-6 beers a couple nights after SWMBO bought me the super-b-complex vitamins.

It has definitely saved my hyde a lot of headache (literally). I have a newborn, and at the 4:30am feeding last night, i felt the dreaded "back-o'-the-head" headache. I went into the kitchen and popped a B-vitamin.

When I re-awoke at 9-10am (dont remember which), I felt 100% better. Normally the posterior headache lasts for at least a day, and I feel nauseous and may/may not (probably will) puke the next day.

I can say, I still feel just a bit "punky" after having 5-6 beers (which would normally leave me hating life the next morning), but I wouldn't even call it hung over.

I will try and remember to report back after imbibing more than a 6pk one night. I've almost trained myself not to do that, however, because of how used to hangovers I am.

OP, thank you for the post, and the idea which has already helped me out.

I'm giving this a trial run today. Took one this morning and will before bed. Here's to a great morning!

i tried it, i picked up a bottle of complex b vitamins. with the ammount of beer i drink when i have no responsibilities the next day, i still end up with a little bit of a hangover. i have noticed a difference that i am a little bit sharper, less grogy, and able to actually get stuff done.

Tried it out a couple more times this week, you know...for science. I think the stuff definitely helps. However, for me, I have to take two pills. One before drinking and one after. I usually get a massive headache the day after having even just 2 or 3 beers, this has nixed that. One pill seems to have zero impact for me.

And on a night I imbibe quite a few extras, this gets rid of the headache part and minimizes the groggy feeling. Like said above, its enough that I can feel useful the next day.

Good job spreading the word cape!

I also do the b complex, but I also add in a 1000mg vitamin C before bed. It appears that drinking quite a few beers causes us to excrete all of our water soluble vitamins. Both B & C together rid me of about 85-90% of all hangovers.

Thanks for the good tip! The last couple years I've woken up with a headache just from having one beer (sucks). If I drink a whole glass of water before bed i don't get the headache, but I really really have to pee in the morning :)

I'll try the B-complex instead (we already have some). Plus-- who doesn't like fluorescent pee?

Ive done the 2 Multi-Vitamins before bed thing for years. Always seemed to help. Have to try the B and see if that makes any difference.

Brewfest was saturday and i think i set some kind of record for most beers sampled. Drank a rockstar and had about 3 or 4 doses of b-complex throughout the day. No ill affects other than some fluorescent green pee. While i was still hungover the next day, i know i would have been a million times worse had it not been for all the b vitamins. In fact, not really even sure i was hungover. It was more like i woke up still super drunk with a mild headache. Luckily when i did finally start to sober and hangover we were in the middle of brew day so i just poured more beer on it and let it ride. Glad brewfest is only once a year.

I am testing this b-complex theory now. I'm on my 7th pint of the good hoppy stuff.

I took 1 before and 1 now after I ate a ton of food. now i'm guna crash. We will see when i get up.

i had a lot the other night, i lost count since a lot of it was tap, but i would guess 14 beers spread throughout the afternoon and night....i think the b vitamin helped but it wasnt 100% cure

BillBeer247 said:
i had a lot the other night, i lost count since a lot of it was tap, but i would guess 14 beers spread throughout the afternoon and night....i think the b vitamin helped but it wasnt 100% cure

I agree, its not 100%. But any help is better than none, getting rid of 75% of the hangover is a great start to the morning.

This works guys; give it a try. Saturday and Sunday morning were pain free. Like others said ^ not a 100% cure but it makes a hell of a difference. Picked up a 300count bottle at SAM's Club for $10. The flight home from GABF never looked so well!

Yes, the B-Vitamins are water soluble, and do not need to be taken with food. The excess will easily dilute from your body via urine. Alcohol inhibits your body's response to the hormone aldosterone, and hinders water absorption in the kidneys. Energy drinks, and 5-hr energy are packed with these B-vitamins as well. In addition, the headache is caused by the meninges of your brain straining to find this supply of B-vitamins that are missing. Dehydration will make you fee like Do-doo, so added water before bed also works well. An ibuprofen before bed is also beneficial, but tylenol should be avoided as the liver metabolizes tylenol.

I've been taking these every night i drink if i remember. I find they work great if you consumed 9 or less pints. Once you get into double digit number of pints, i find not much will stop a hangover

Back