Anyone have a good Rice and Rasin wine recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtonridr

Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple rice wine to make in a small 1 gal batches. At the moment I have zero interest in making sake or using the specialty yeast required for that type of wine. I'm looking for something simple with just a few cheap fermentable ingredients. Preferably something that doesnt take to long to ferment and be drinkable.

I've read a few recipes that sound good, but they vary so widely in ingredient quantities and the sources arent great. Plus there are people trying to make Chinese rice wine for cooking, I dont know how great that would be for drinking. I dont know enough about the process to piece together a recipe.

Does anyone have good recipe they could recommend?

Well, I found a Korean Rice Wine called "makgeolli". But it requires Nuruk (an enzyme) to break down the starches to sugars. After doing some reading, I'm very interested in making some of this. :D

But, I'm still very interested in finding a rice wine recipe that someone has tried and found to have good results. A recipe that uses mashing to convert the starches.

Sounds like you want to use raisins in your sake; interesting.
You might find some useful info here: http://www.taylor-madeak.org/index.php

Rice is NOT fermentable without 1 (or more) of the following: koji, or amalayse enzyme, or malted barley (to provide enzyme).
Yeast cannot break down the molecular structure of starch and therefore need help from the aforementioned things to convert the starch to fermentable sugar. If you attempt to ferment rice without them, most likely you will only have wet, moldy rice & starchy water. If there is any conversion at all, it will be due to wild organisms that just happened to fall into it.

There is a reason people do things a certain way, learn what works & what doesn't by reading what others have done (successes & failures) & you'll save both time & money, AND make a much better product for your efforts.
Regards, GF.

Why not use a trusted raisin wine recipe and convert a little to make it a rice wine. Here is a recipe from jack Keller on raisin wine:

RAISIN WINE
4 lbs raisins
1 lb sugar
1 gallon water
1 crushed Campden tablet
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt wine yeast
Put water on to boil. Meanwhile, chop the raisins or run them through a mincer. Put raisins, sugar and yeast nutrient into primary. When water boils, pour over raisins and stir until sugar dissolves. Cover with a sanitized cloth and set aside to cool. When at room temperature, add crushed Campden tablet and stir. Recover primary and set aside for 12 hours. Add pectic enzyme, stir, recover primary, and set aside another 12 hours. Add activated yeast. Stir daily for 7 days. Strain and press juice out of raisin pulp. Transfer liquid to secondary and fit airlock. Rack, top up and refit airlock every 30 days until wine clears and no new sediments form during a 30-day period. Stabilize, sweeten to taste, wait 10 days, and rack into bottles. Like most wines, it will improve with age.

Here is how I would change it:

Start fermenting in 2 gallon bucket.
Make sure and use golden raisins.
Change the raisins from 4 lb to 2 lb.
Add 4 cups sweet rice (dry measurement) to primary after steaming with the raisins.
Add in 2 tsp amylase enzyme when you add the pectic enzyme.

There you go. Not sure on drinkability but can not be too bad.

You will have to make this like Sake...make moto with koji...rice isn't fermentable without it! Look up Sake making on the internet.

The issue I see with this recipe is the rice is raw or parboiled-never cooked, plus there is nothing to convert the rice to fermentable...unless the OP was using a rice wine yeast cake/ball which is amylase based. But I do not think he was.

Saramc:

It is not so much as fermenting the rice as it is using the rice for flavor. I have done this recipe myself a few times now since I doubted it at first until I tried it. It is important to use the basmati rice since it is such a "fragrant" type of rice. It allowed a very flowery aroma once completed. This is what the rice is used for - not as a fermentable. The sugar is the fermentable, and the raisins are the nutrient - Lime zest adds to the flavor and is also slightly a preservative since this is more of an "old style" recipe instead of something meant to be made complicated. I made this without the rice thinking I would make a raisin wine and it did not turn out the same at all. Actually tasted bad and I dumped it. It only works with the rice. The OP didn't ask for a recipe using rice as the fermentable, he just asked for a recipe using rice. This recipe uses rice, and it has a purpose in this recipe which is for the flavor / aroma that is added to the wine using it.

Back