Banana or Cloves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy Boner

Reaction score
:ban: I really like the Banana esters that are produced in some Hefe's. I really don't like the clove esters that are produced in others. Is it just the yeast, as I have used wyeast german wheat and got great banana nose and used white labs german hefe and just got the clove nose. Seems like I read where the temp had a lot to do with what you got. Is this true or do I just go with the Wyeast as that seems to get what I want. I have only made 3 batches of hefe the 3rd using an American Hefe yeast which I liked much more than the white labs with the clove taste. I have 2 lbhs that carry different brands but I guess I could go to both.
:mug:

I'd say use the yeast that you prefer and ferment at the normal temperature range for that yeast. I've had no experience with wyeast, but the white labs American Hefeweizen yeast has none of the banana or clove taste.

I've made 7 or so batches of Hefe Weizen this year (so far). :rockin:

Most of the banana flavor comes from the yeast fermenting at the higher temps, like 70-75F. Any lower you'll get the cloves. :D

BTW, our b'days are 2 days apart, but I'm 3 years older. ;)

:tank: Well I checked and WLP300 is what I used and the temp was in the mid 70's but I didn't do anything in my house to adjust temps. But only taste or nose I get is the cloves. I'll plug my nose and drink it anyway:D Think I'll go with that Wyeast german wheat next time. :mug: Oh and you only have 1 birthday after that it's HAPPY AFTERBIRTH!:D

I think that's the reason why I don't use 300 anymore.

I started with a 51 yeast (manufacturere no longer makes it) and later found that WL got it from the other unknown company and renamed it WLP351.

WL only makes it available in Jul and Aug. Also, for some reason it's cheaper from midwestsupplies.com than it is from the WL website. Go figure.

I have a botton that says; Wanna get laid? Crawl up a chickens a$$ and wait. (just a little added humor)...:D

Back