Overflowed airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat2343

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a Christmas Warmer Ale. Because of the crazy fermentation it ended up bubbling out of my airlock for the first day. I attempted to put a blow off on like I've seen on here, but didn't have the right materials and within 18 hrs it had subsided substantially, so I just took the airlock off, cleaned it up, refilled with some vodka, and put it back on. Obviously next time I will be better prepared, but my question is whether or not I should transfer to a secondary? I'm nervous that since air has gotten to it, even for the short amount of time, I should transfer and let it to continue to ferment. It has been in the primary for 7 days now. I have seen that a lot of people have moved away from using a secondary, but I'm worried about infection. IDK if I'm being overly cautious or what. Any input would be appreciated!

No, don't transfer to secondary, you're fine. The small amount of air that was introduced will not affect your beer and will most likely be pushed out due to CO2 pressure. Additionally, transferring it to the secondary will expose it to even more air and more chances at infection.

I doubt any appreciable amount of air got in,since it was blowing krausen out the airlock. I had The Blob appear from my airlock once,took out the airlock after making a blow off tube. The switch was pretty fast since we came home the next morning just in time to catch it. It had been flowing for some short time before we got back,so I didn't loose anything appreciable at that point. So I'm basically saying you have nothing to worry about. Leave it in primary to finish,clean up,& settle out more. Mine came out just fine,& so will yours.

Yah, there's no reason to transfer to secondary as far as your specific concerns go. And I wouldn't worry at all about any air that got in there. As long as the yeast are still active in any way, they'll probably end up chewing up that small amount of oxygen.

I had one blow the little cap off the airlock and some foam hit the sealing. My wife was mad. Told me id never brew again. 10 batches later im still brewing.

Lolz. I guess we have whoever thought up the blow off rig to thank in SWMBO's case...:cross:
Of course,it helps tremendously that she loves my ales...

Back