Sanitizing Carboy and bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
Do any of you clean and sanitize your carboys immediately after bottling, drip dry them and seal them with aluminum foil to use when you brew again? I'll be brewing again this Tuesday and thought that I would save some time. Anything wrong with doing this? I got the idea from sanitizing bottles. (see below)

I found the following info in Palmer's book concerning sanitizing (actually sterilizing) bottles. Clean and dry your bottles. Place them in the oven with the tops covered with aluminum foil. Pre-heat the oven to 338 degrees. When the oven reaches that temp. set your timer for 60 min. After baking, let them cool in the oven, then store them until you are ready to use them. I did this, 24 at a time, and just bottled today. Seemed like an easy way to have bottles on hand until you are ready to go. Anybody use this method?

normally I just sanatize my bottlesas I need them. My Carboys I clean out as soon as they are done being used, fill them with sanatizer and cap them off until i'm ready to brew again.

Never tried the baking method

I clean out my carboys after I empty them with Ivory dishwashing liquid, hot water, and a brush. I let them dry and forget about them until I need them next. When I go to use them again I rinse them out to get any dust out and pour some StarSan solution in and swish it around for a bit and dump it out, and then cover with a piece of plastic wrap until I need to siphon into it.

I normally rinse my carboy after use and store them with 2 oz bleach topped with water. This usually gets any floatys off the neck that I can't reach with the carboy brush.

Bottles - I rinse after drinking out of them. Next morning I jet rinse and store upside down. Then at bottling I rinse again and sanitize with iodophor or one-step. One-Step with the 2.5 gal batches and smaller and Idophor usually for 5 gal batches.

I read that part of Palmers too. I also read the dishwasher is good with the heated drying cycle. NO JET WASH, NO DETERGENT!! I never tried either. My dishwasher as a jetwash compartment that seems to never empty. So I've never tried that route.

My other dishwasher refuses to wash bottles!!!! HAHA

Old habits are hard to break too.

I clean and sanitize my carboys after using them. I put a piece of plastic wrap over the top. When I am read to use it I so pour a little Star-San solution in there again and swish it around.

As for bottles, do you have a dishwasher? When I empty a bottle I put it in the dishwasher and run it with the other dishes. When I am ready to bottle I run the d/w once without soap. Then I put the bottles in, again with no soap, and run them on the hi-temp wash/sanitize cycle. Then, to be perfectly safe, I dip them in Star-San and put them back in the clean dishwasher rack and grab them as I need them to fill and cap.

Yep I clean everything out when done using it and then let drip dry, then reclean and sanitize when I go to use it again.

I always rinse out the used bottles and then gather them all back up in the garage in boxes or milk crates. When I need to bottle I just put however many I need in the dishwasher the night before and run it with no soap and heated dry cycle. The dishwasher is great at bottling time too! I put my bottling bucket right over the open dishwasher on the counter and use the door as a filling platform. Any spills get rinsed down the drain of the dishwasher when you put the door up and you have all your clean sanitized bottles right there in the racks to use.:)

I do the same as others. Clean right away after use, cover to keep out dust, then use StarSan immediately before next use. I don't use the oven. StarSan sanitizes in 2 minutes.

Back