annapolis, MD area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Defenestrar- I am resurrecting your old post, but I'm a very novice brewer in the Annapolis Area (about 1.5 yrs) and I am in the process of (very slowly) moving to AG equipment. Currently, I'm doing BIAB batches of 4G or so.

I have a couple friends that brew from time to time, but I'd like to get a real club together.

Anyone interested

DolemiteGK said:
Hey Defenestrar- I am resurrecting your old post, but I'm a very novice brewer in the Annapolis Area (about 1.5 yrs) and I am in the process of (very slowly) moving to AG equipment. Currently, I'm doing BIAB batches of 4G or so.

I have a couple friends that brew from time to time, but I'd like to get a real club together.

Anyone interested

I am down in Indian Head, MD...about an hour or so from annapolis. I am also a pretty new brewer, coming up on one year.

I'm interested in the club. Most are all an hour away from me. There defiantly need to be a club in our states Capitol. I live in Dunkirk, md. Let's brew sometime.

Incredible People of Annapolis IPA

My navy buddy and I brew up just about every two weeks over at his house in Crownsville. He just moved to a place with an electric stove, so we are making the switch to mostly ag biab. we may also be interested in a club.

I jumped on this forum to ask if anyone was brewing in the Annapolis area and was glad I found this thread! My wife and I are in the process of moving to Annapolis right now. We're currently in a hotel in Bowie but should be in Annapolis by the end of April. I have been brewing for about 10 years now and am mostly an extract brewer, but plan on building an all grain rig this summer. I even got a green light and a budget from the wife so I would say I'm 50% of the way there!

I noticed that there used to be a homebrew club in Annapolis called the Aleing Sailors but none of their contact information is any good so I'm assuming they've died away. I would like to try to get a club up and running but for now I just want to get together and brew with someone else in the area. Is anyone planning on getting together to brew soon?

I posted in the Eastern Shore thread, but I work in Annapolis and live in Easton, MD. I would love to find a homebrew club.

I posted in the Eastern Shore thread, but I work in Annapolis and live in Easton, MD. I would love to find a homebrew club.

I've been talking to some of the folks that are with the Killer Ales but I've been out of town during their meetings. Also they seem to have most of their meetings closer to Baltimore. I have been part of some really active homebrew clubs and was thinking of starting one up in Annapolis once we get settled in. Any interest in becoming a founding member once it gets off the ground?

I've been talking to some of the folks that are with the Killer Ales but I've been out of town during their meetings. Also they seem to have most of their meetings closer to Baltimore. I have been part of some really active homebrew clubs and was thinking of starting one up in Annapolis once we get settled in. Any interest in becoming a founding member once it gets off the ground?

I am not sure on how to get a homebrew club started but im sure its not that hard. I think the first thing we need to do is grab some members and set a date for the first meeting. So if you would like to join a homebrew club in Annapolis simply reply with "I love beer".

I love beer :mug: I have a buddy that would be interested as well so that makes 2!

Second we need to find is a meeting place. I used to work at a couple of bars in Annapolis, so i could ask around and see if it was ok for us to bring in some homebrew for meetings to taste. Or we could try to hold it at someones house. Unfortunately, I am renting and my apartment so i would not be able to accommodate anyone. Examples: Fado Irish Pub, Slyfox Pub, Galway Bay or theres this place called Lures in crownsville(i did not work here) but it has really good beers on draft. Then of course theres always ramshead (they have a ton of craft beers on draft) :tank:

Third, we need to make an agenda. What will the first meeting be about? I guessing probably just a meet and greet. Maybe trade some beers. Talk about our brewing set ups. Maybe even set up a group brewing day. Also we could talk about some mistakes we have made to prevent others from doing the same. We could also talk about group buys on ingredients to save all of us a lot of money. Maybe set some meetings up for a DIY kinda thing.(mash tuns, stir plates, yeast starters)AND LAST WE NEED TO ACTUALLY NAME OUR CLUB! :confused:

Then we could register the club in the AHA for free.

Let me know if your in or have any ideas on what to do to get this started. LETS SET A DATE!

I stumbled upon this thread and am interested. I have been thinking about joining a club, but my weekend time is severely limited. I am interested in CRABS, because they have Wednesday night meetings. But they are in B'more. Annapolis would be great. I'd join.

I love beer!

I would definitely be in. I'm getting married in late June, so I probably wouldn't be very helpful until July, but this sounds like a good idea to me!

I love beer

I've been looking for a club...I live in Calvert County MD and work at Andrews AFB so Annapolis would work for me. I'm approaching the one year point with all grain so the learning curve is still pretty steep...I'd love to get some honest feedback on my brews and trade pointers with some other homebrewers. Count me in!

I love beer!

Awesome enthusiasm! I've had some experience getting a club off the ground. My first homebrew club back in Texas was well established when I joined and that experience helped with getting a club going in Guam. A lot of other guys did the heavy lifting but I was one of the founding members and gained a lot of experience with what works and what does not in a young homebrew club.

Kmcogar, you are right about what needs to be accomplished first. In my experience the first meeting should be over a few beers and should be used to let everyone put names to faces and establish what the club is going to be about. You need to establish a meeting calendar and appoint folks to specific responsibilities. Interim officer positions should be appointed.

Specific members should be responsible for the second meeting (appointed at meeting #1) and responsible for establishing a clear agenda, as well as prepare for elections for permanent officer positions. The club is more likely to survive if you clearly establish responsibilities as early as possible and develop a written charter or constitution that puts those responsibilities and the clubs goals down on paper. You should have a draft charter/constitution and permanent officers no later than the end of the second meeting and a clear charter/constitution by the third. If you can effectively communicate and organize online then you can have all of this established by the end of the second meeting.

EVERY homebrew club should have homebrew at the inaugural meeting. If we can take homebrew to a bar or brewpub in Annapolis then that would be an excellent choice for the first meeting. If we can't then a member's house is where the first meeting should be held. I have permission from the wife to hold a meeting at our place but the earliest it could be is mid-May. However, I think mid-May is a good target date since it would give everyone time to recruit (I'm thinking right after mother's day).

Kmcogar, can you check in on bringing homebrew to Ram's head, Galway, etc. since you have the "in" with some of the local bars? If that pans out then we can use one of them for the first meeting, if not then we should select someone's house for the first meeting.

I love beer

I've been looking for a club...I live in Calvert County MD and work at Andrews AFB so Annapolis would work for me. I'm approaching the one year point with all grain so the learning curve is still pretty steep...I'd love to get some honest feedback on my brews and trade pointers with some other homebrewers. Count me in!

What kind of all grain rig do you have? I've primarily been an extract brewer over the years and brewed on my friends all grain rigs when I've had the time. Now that we have moved to Maryland I've decided to take that next step and build my own all grain system.

SuperSpy said:
What kind of all grain rig do you have? I've primarily been an extract brewer over the years and brewed on my friends all grain rigs when I've had the time. Now that we have moved to Maryland I've decided to take that next step and build my own all grain system.

I brew with a single ekeggle that I recently built along with a picnic cooler mlt. I intend to slowly build up to a three vessel, single tier electric system over the next year or so...leaning toward herms but still in the research phase.

EVERY homebrew club should have homebrew at the inaugural meeting. If we can take homebrew to a bar or brewpub in Annapolis then that would be an excellent choice for the first meeting. If we can't then a member's house is where the first meeting should be held. I have permission from the wife to hold a meeting at our place but the earliest it could be is mid-May. However, I think mid-May is a good target date since it would give everyone time to recruit (I'm thinking right after mother's day).

A Mid-May meeting would be ideal for me. June through Mid-July will be rough for me, but it will be smooth sailing after that.

I have been brewing for 3+ years, and am going on 1 year of all-grain brewing. My setup is your typical novice all-grain brewer's setup: 70qt Coleman Cooler with a S/S braid, turkey deep fryer w/ 7.5 gallon aluminum kettle.

So what's the best date/time for a meeting? I think that a weekday meeting is typically best. People have plans and family obligations on weekends. Besides, weekday meetings will leave our weekends free to schedule brew-ins. Monday through Thursday is good for me and I'm partial to Thursday. How about everyone else?

Weekday or weekend?
What are the best days for you?
Is there a particular week of the month that works best for your schedule?

If we're going with mid-May for the first meeting then third week of the month is where we will start.

A weekday meeting would be best for me, personally. I work in Annapolis, but live 45 miles away. It would be an extra 90 mile round trip drive for me if we met on a weekend. BUT, if the rest of the group prefers a weekend meeting, I would still come out for sure.

I'm down with the weekdays. I'll call a few bars when I get some time either today or tomorrow. Mid may would be good for me to. I work around DC so I wouldn't make it to Annapolis until 6pm. MONDAY TO THURSDAY is good for. me too

I'm thinking Thursday night is the way to go. The Thursday after Mother's Day is the 17th of May. Can anyone not make that day?

I might be going to the Pirates/Nationals game on the 17th, so I guess it depends what time we meet.

It looks like Thursday the 17th is set. We will see what Kmcogar can come up with in terms of location and then decide on a time. If location becomes a problem then we can meet at my place. I'm just off of West St and fairly central. The only issue may be parking but we will figure that out if it comes down to meeting at my house.

So what are thoughts on the club name? I think the old Annapolis homebrew club was called the Aleing Sailors. We could become the Sailing Alers, but we're likely to come up with something better if we start spit balling now and attempt to settle it at the first meeting. Any ideas?

I will try my best to make it on the 17th. Obviously, the earlier the better for me.

I will also try to think of a name. This is exciting!

M.A.S.H

Maryland Association of Serious Homebrewers.

Just throwin' an acronym out there.

I'm interested in joining. I have been brewing for 10 years off and on. I just started all grain this year. I took a stab at a Duvel clone this weekend. I will not be able to make the 17th though.

I am up for joining. Coming from Upper Marlboro. 17th works for me. I have been brewing for about a year, two all grain batches so far.

Suggestion for a meeting place.

Punk's Backyard Grill in annapolis mall. It's locally owned, has good reasonably priced food, and a great selection of beers on tap. They have two on Cask as well.

And one of the owners, Dave is a homebrewer.

Current draft selection:

•Sierra Nevada Hoptimum | Imperial IPA | 10.4% abv | California
•Great Divide Colette | Saison | 7.0% abv | Colorado
•Oliver Ape Must Never Kill Ape | Belgian Dark Ale | 3.2% abv | Maryland
•Stillwater As Follows | Belgian Strong Pale | 9.0% abv | Maryland
•Heavy Seas Dubbel Cannon | Belgian IPA | 7.0% abv | Maryland
•Firestone Walker Reserve | Porter | 5.3% abv | California
•Oliver James Brown Ale | Brown Ale | 9.0% abv | Maryland
•Dogfish Head Aprihop | IPA | 7.0% abv | Maryland
•Flying Dog Disobedience Dubbel | Belgian Dubbel | 7.1% abv | Maryland
•Evolution Lot 6 | Imperial IPA | 9.2% abv | Maryland

Back