Gas dip tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Ok, i posted this as a reply in another thread i started but have not heard. So i will start a new thread on it.

I picked up a firestone keg at the scrap yard today and it appears that the gas in hole is to small for a gas dip tube, you know the 1" long ones. Do the firestone kegs require them or not? I have only had cornelius ones until now.

Reverend JC said:
Ok, i posted this as a reply in another thread i started but have not heard. So i will start a new thread on it.

I picked up a firestone keg at the scrap yard today and it appears that the gas in hole is to small for a gas dip tube, you know the 1" long ones. Do the firestone kegs require them or not? I have only had cornelius ones until now.

I have one firestone, and it uses a gas tube.

What do you think the deal is with this then? Why would the hole not be big enough for that little tube? It seems i could cut the very top off of an old bent cip tube, about 3/8", but would that do the trick?
The hole narrows quite abit about 3/8" into the post.

Reverend JC said:
What do you think the deal is with this then? Why would the hole not be big enough for that little tube? It seems i could cut the very top off of an old bent cip tube, about 3/8", but would that do the trick?
The hole narrows quite abit about 3/8" into the post.

Weird.

Have you tried to just pressurize the thing? If it holds pressure fine, I guess I wouldn't worry about it.

-walker

I think what you're looking at is a dip tube without an O-ring. My firestones have a very short dip tube that you can't even see when you look into the big opening. It's 3/4" long.

Wouldn't it have a black o-ring around the top of the dip tube if one was in there? I saw no o-ring. I cleaned it, sanitized it, closed it up and put the CO2 on it and it held pressure. I will check it again in the morn, but so far seems to be fine.

If it loses pressure i will put a finger on the bottom side of it and see if there is a tube that i just can not see.

I have a couple cornys that have plastic gas in tubes that are smaller diameter than the stainless steel gas in tubes. I don't have the actual measurements handy but I think the plastic one is about 1/4" diameter and the SS one is about 5/16" diameter. I heard/read somewhere that one (more skilled than me) can drill the keg post out to fit the SS ones. You may also be able to buy new plastic ones from some HBS, or beverage supply company, like Superior.

Back