whoa...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith_Mahoney

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I came home yesterday and checked out the porter I have fermenting next to a batch of Apfelwein in a chest freezer. Good thing I always use a blow off tube because this baby filled up an entire growler and kept going all over the bottom of the freezer.

But that's not the whoa part.

That came about when I bent over the freezer to clean up the mess and took a breath of what I expected to be air but apparently was nothing but CO2 from 2 actively fermenting carboys. I almost wasn't able to get back up out of the freezer.

Lesson learned: Hold your breath when bending over into an airtight space in which alcohol has been fermenting.

Yeah CO2 is heavier than air... makes chest freezers dangerous to stick your head in.

I realized I had a leak in my keezer and about passed out when I stuck my head in to figure out what it was... only takes once to learn that lesson though, lol.

Oh and can't forget the first time opening a sealed keg...
Oh look at that mist cool... *puts face up to hole*, *blows into keg*... yeah.

Actually I inhaled through my mouth and my throat was raw for almost an hour.

Tom thanks for the heads up on the kegs. I have a new 3 keg set up at home I'm about to put into use.

Back