Pliny the elder clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added it the last five minutes of boil, you really just wante to sanitize it with the boiling wort. If you put it at the 60 minute it could make your beer darker, or at least that is what ive heard.

I added mine at the beginning of the boil and it came out fine. Didn't take long to kick that keg I can tell you.

I decided to add mine during fermentation after it reduces a bit (to maybe a bubbling airlock once every 3 to 5 seconds). Of course, you boil a little water, dissolve the sugar in it and let it cool first. What that does is help dry out the beer (highly attenuated). Plus, I read somewhere that it allows the yeast a full opportunity to go through the growth stage during fermentation: adding dextrose before fermentation begins actually helps to inhibit this growth stage.

A lot of different ideas here about adding the sugar. Does anyone know how Vinnie intended it to be added? I put mine in with 5 min. left to boil. What a killer beer this should be.

A lot of different ideas here about adding the sugar. Does anyone know how Vinnie intended it to be added? I put mine in with 5 min. left to boil. What a killer beer this should be.

the point is that you made a good beer no matter what. I don't think there would be any flavor difference, maybe color like GodsStepBrother said.

You know the reason why Vinnie put sugar in the first place was because his mash was not large enough for this beer and it added the gravity points he needed without the space. They use a different system now but still do it this way. It also helps dry out this beer.

I just tasted mine from the keg last night for the first time. I added it at the beginning of the 90 minute boil. My color actually looks dead on. I was a little worried about several aspects of this beer, but man, did it really come out great. I added 1lb. corn sugar at 90 mins.

+1 for adding at the beginning of the boil. I used hop bags because I hate trying to whirlpool the sludge left by that many hop pellets. But with all those hop bags in there in the last 5 min. I didn't want to try to dissolve a pound of sugar with all the obstacles. I killed the heat and dissolved it right before the boil kicked off. Returned to flame and got boil (and added my 90 min hops) about 5 min later.

On another note, that was the first time I had ever used hops in the mash, The house smelled heavenly.

Back