Rust in new keggle/Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAZZ

Reaction score
I got my keggle back from the welder a couple of weeks ago. I calibrated my site glass today and noticed rust around the coupling on the inside where the welder did some sanding. Is there any way to get rid of this rust or am I screwed.

Not sure if the rust is in the inside or outside but if it is in the inside I soaked mine with a heavy dose of PBW. After 24 hours I scrubbed it away.

Could also use Naval Jelly too. I used this to repassivate my stainless. Works great. :rockin:
John Palmer mentioned it on Brew Strong for repassivating stainless. He said once the oxidation (rust) had been removed, just let it become exposed to the air and it will passivate.

As mentioned above a good scrubbing with Barkeepers' Friend will work as well.

thanks for the info. i think i will make a pastefrom barkeepers friend and let it dry on the surface than give it a good scrub. hope that does it.

Naval Jelly.... hadn't heard of this in years... This stuff is great.

Never thought to use it on my keggles..

So use Bar Keepers Friend or Naval Jelly to get the rust off but how do you keep it off? I just got a new kettle with welded couplers and it has rust on the inside.

StinkyVp said:
So use Bar Keepers Friend or Naval Jelly to get the rust off but how do you keep it off? I just got a new kettle with welded couplers and it has rust on the inside.

Bar keepers friend is an acid based cleaner. It will re-passivate the steel where the heat of welding had damaged it.

Once the steel has been passivated, it wont rust anymore.

Back