Cloudy wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooBrew

Reaction score
I have a wort that has been in the fermenter for 2 weeks now and it is so cloudy that you hardly can see the hydrometer to read. Would clarifying tabs in the secondary help?

It's a high-gravity 'Belgian' that I made with left-over ingredients. Stared with a Cooper's lager kit, 3lbs DME, 2lbs corn sugar, S-33 in a 1gt starter.

It's a high-gravity 'Belgian' that I made with left-over ingredients. Stared with a Cooper's lager kit, 3lbs DME, 2lbs corn sugar, S-33 in a 1gt starter.

By looking at your recipe and seeing that you've used the S-33 yeast you can expect the haziness in your beer for some time. Using the S-33 yeast will leave a slight yeast haze in your finished (green) beer. You can always cold crash the finished beer so the yeast will drop down and clear better. This may take some time maybe up to a few weeks. Even Hefe yeast will drop out after a while when cold crashed. I wouldn't worry about it. You can cold crash in the primary and wait another week then keg or bottle. After a couple more weeks bottle conditioning it'll clear and be quite tasty.

Thanx for the advice but what exactly is 'cold crashing'?

Thanx for the info, tomorrow I'm transferring to secondary carboy and puttin' it in the fridge.

Back