krylon clear, where can i get it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dxp1113

Reaction score
if i am printing my own labels, where can i get krylon clear to protect the labels? I know i can look online but what stores would have it, and is there a certain company that anyone recommend?

Most home improvement stores will have the Krylon clear coat lacquer. If you are looking for the one designed for art applications look at an art supply store or maybe a Hobby store like Ben Franklin's or Michaels.

Most home improvement stores will have the Krylon clear coat lacquer. If you are looking for the one designed for art applications look at an art supply store or maybe a Hobby store like Ben Franklin's or Michaels.

If i walk into the store, i can ask them for Krylon and they would know what im talking about?
Plus is it expensive compared to getting coated labels made by an outside source?

Krylon will be in the paint section of just about every hardware store pretty much anywhere. However, be advised that if you are planning on sealing regular printed paper labels, you may get bleeding. Do a search for Acrylic Spray sealers, there are several brands, and I know Lowes at least sells the Americana brand.

Should only cost you about 2-3 bucks a can.

Krylon is a specific brand of spray paint manufacturer. Look at the paint department in any home improvement store and you should find it. It's probably about $4 a can at the store and although I have never used the product for a label application I can imagine it is much cheaper than buying your own labels. One can should be enough to coat several hundred labels.

Krylon Clear works GREAT on good paper, InkJet Printer
NOT good for Laser

Do not coat heavily! - a couple of dustings to protect it from soaking into the paper before a (slightly) heavier coat

I just bought some Krylon Clear this morning at Blick Art Supplies (don't know if there is one near you). The cost was $5.99.

Be aware, this stuff really reeks. I sprayed outside and let them dry and I can still smell them.

I just bought some Krylon Clear this morning at Blick Art Supplies (don't know if there is one near you). The cost was $5.99.

Be aware, this stuff really reeks. I sprayed outside and let them dry and I can still smell them.

Yeah unfortunately i sprayed mine in my bedroom. :cross: It smelt for a few days.

Does anyone have any special application methods? Ive tried spraying the label before and after application of the label. Any suggestions?

Yeah unfortunately i sprayed mine in my bedroom. :cross: It smelt for a few days.

Does anyone have any special application methods? Ive tried spraying the label before and after application of the label. Any suggestions?

I can't see a reason to spray this stuff after you put on the label. It would just get on the bottle and stink up the bottle.

I spray my lables on the sheets, then attach to the bottle.

I use whatever 'matte' or 'satin' spray stuff is on sale at the art store. Since it's just going on beer to be drank, no need to spend $$$$$ on a couple of lables.

B

Back