not clear with what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffiano31

Reaction score
I just brew a nut brown ale, partial mash. It's my fourth brew. Everything went smooth, except one thing so far. After steeping the grains, I transferred the liquid and grains through a steeping bag to the main boiling pot. While doing this a small amount of grains fell directly into the water. I tried to strain them out. ONce the beer was in the carboy, i took a sample out (before pitching yeast) to take a hydrometer reading. I noticed that the beer was cloudy and even chalky with grains/or powdery stuff from the grains. I was thinking maybe I grinded the grain a little too much or something. Anyway, it's been three days now and the yeast has been doing good work pushing gunk outta the blow tube. Should I add something to the beer to make the chalky, grainy stuff settle to the bottom? Will the yeast do that for me? I was thinking I should just leave the beer in the carboy for at least three weeks...that helps the clarity right? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Ya, leaving the beer in there for a little while and even moving to secondary will clear out almost all of that stuff.

Agreed. I wouldn't worry about this at all. Your probably also have a bunch of trub at the bottom of your primary from the hops and proteins as well. You'll be able to get most of that out by transferring to your secondary in about a week for your type of beer. Give it another 2 weeks in the secondary and all the rest should fall out of the beer as well. Don't worry at all about this....

thanks for the replies guys. I have the beer in a carboy now, should I use the bottling bucket for the second fermenter? So far I've only used the carboy as the fermenter, I have never done a secondary.

Granted, I am a noob, but I would use the carboy. Less headspace = better. Use the bottling bucket for bottling.

Definitely save the bottling bucket for bottling. If you absolutely have to, transfer to your bottling bucket, wash out your carboy and then transfer back to secondary, but you're risking more exposure to O2 that way and raising your chance of contamination. If you only have one carboy, I'd suggest going out and getting a better bottle to go with it. They're fairly cheap in the grand scheme of things. Less than paying for new ingredients if you mess this batch up by racking it back and forth.

Back