Yeast Application

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy8

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a couple years now and every once in a while I come across something that catches my interest. When I add the yeast to my brew, I always add the yeast in dry form directly into each bottle.

I came across something that made me second guess my method. I read a recipe where the person dissolves the yeast in warm water then pours it into an Ale Pail with the brew, then from the pail, the brew is divided into the bottles.

I have been doing it my way and have had great success. I have been doing it that way to achieve more even carbonation from one carboy to the next. I know that 1/8 tsp. is what I need for each gallon. However, trying to measure the appropriate amount of yeast for 16 oz. Bail Top bottles is guess work at best.

What I am wondering is, if I were to dissolve the yeast into warm water, then pour it into my Ale Pail with the brew, and dispense into all of my carboy's and bottles, would I get even yeast disbursement and thus even carbonation from one jug/bottle to the next?

Does anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks for the help.

For dry yeast, you will want to proof it by dissolving in about 80° water.
Then pour that into your fermentor (ale pale/carboy)
When youre ready to bottle, Boil a cup of water and dissolve the priming sugar. Cool to your beer temp and pour into your bottling bucket. then rack the beer into your bottling bucket. Leave the trub in the fermenter. There is enough yeast in suspension, and no need to add more yeast. This will mix the priming sugar and beer together evenly.
Lastly, bottle your beer.
This will evenly disburse the yeast into all of your bottles and should result in even carbonation.

Chris

Oops, I didn't realize this was in the soda thread, sorry. I have only force carbonated soda, I have not used yeast for carbonation. But in theory, I would think the results would be the same.

I thought you may have been referring to beer. I am brewing root beer so I am new to some of the terms you've used, so if you dont mind me asking:

1. Priming sugar is something "special" right? Even if I dont use it, what exactly is it used for?
2. What is "racking"? Ive heard this term, but always in the context of brewing beer.
3. Whats a "trub"

Thanks for your help.

1. For soda, you don't need priming sugar at all. You already have mixed up your sugar, honey, etc. For beer during fermentation, the yeast have consumed all of the fermentable sugar. So to carbonate beer, you add a little sugar at bottling time to re-energize the yeast, give them something to eat, which will result in minimal alcohol, and just enough CO2 to carb beer.
2. Racking is just transferring some liquid (beer or soda) from one vessel to another.
3. Trub is all of the stuff left at the bottom of the fermenter when making beer. it includes hops, dead/flocculated yeast, hot/cold break proteins

1. Priming sugar is something "special" right? Even if I dont use it, what exactly is it used for?

As far as I've seen, priming sugar is just corn sugar in a very fine form. (Equivalent to dextrose; not to be confused with high fructose corn syrup).

Table sugar (sucrose) seems to be ~2x as sweet when tasted directly (purely subjective number).

Use this page's calculator if you want to find which amount of different sweetening agents to use. As mentioned above, for soda you won't need it.

Back